Girls as young as 12 fasting, vomiting to shed baby fatNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
The data was taken from an earlier survey involving 3948 boys and 4267 girls aged five to 19.
The analysis found that fasting was the most widely practised diet technique for girls aged 12 to 19 years but numbers partaking in both billowed at 14 and 15 years of age.
Smoking to control weight also increased sharply at this point, and doubled to 13 per cent among girls 16 years and over.
Fasting was the only significant issue among boys, affecting 5 per cent across all age groups.
O’Dea said that what was more concerning was the sharp rise in girls adopting these habits at 14 and 15 years of age, when their bodies were naturally “rounding out”.
She said that the study was a proof that girls should be taught about puberty and body image from the age of nine, while still at primary school.
“We’ve got these extremely young girls using these dangerous fad techniques from as young as 12 which is shocking in itself,” News.com.au quoted O’Dea, as saying.
“Then the numbers doing it shoot up further at 14 once they start to put on that natural layer of body fat normal for all girls in the last stages of puberty.
“They’re fighting against this curvaceous shape in the terrible mistaken belief that it’s actually normal to have no body fat at all,” she said.
O’Dea said that educators should take heed of the pubertal dieting trend among girls. (ANI)
- Childhood obesity could erode fertility later - Aug 01, 2012
- Study indicates that young girls are entering puberty earlier - Aug 09, 2010
- Junk food lowering Delhi girls' puberty age: Doctors - Nov 01, 2011
- Steroid intake putting body conscious Oz teens at health risk - Sep 20, 2009
- A quarter of Brit kids are overweight or obese by the age of 5 - Dec 16, 2010
- Puberty linked to sleep disorders, alcohol abuse - Jun 22, 2010
- Site in brain where leptin may trigger puberty identified - Dec 23, 2010
- Young in India dieting, fasting to look good: Study - Apr 29, 2011
- Boys hitting puberty a year earlier: Study - Dec 08, 2010
- Irish Defence Minister resigns over false accusations - Feb 19, 2010
- Brit teenage girls surviving on junk food - Feb 10, 2010
- Early alcohol, tobacco use might delay onset of puberty in girls - Sep 15, 2010
- 'Deep sleep, not brain, switches on puberty' - Sep 13, 2012
- Girls as young as seven hitting puberty in US - Aug 10, 2010
- Girls Attaining Early Puberty Are More Prone To Breast Cancer, Study Reveals - Aug 10, 2010
Tags: 19 years, age groups, body fat, body image, curvaceous shape, dangerous fad, dea, dietician, dr jenny, faculty of education, girls 16 years, health educator, mistaken belief, primary school, social work, stages of puberty, take heed, university of sydney, vomiting