Genes from fireflies shed light show causes of infertilityMarch 28th, 2009 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 28 (IANS) Genes from fireflies and jellyfish are virtually shedding light on possible causes of infertility and auto-immune diseases in humans.
Auto-immune diseases are those in which something goes wrong with your immune system and it attacks healthy cells and tissues and makes you sick.
Scientists are using the luminescent and florescent genes to illuminate cells that produce a hormone linked to auto-immune conditions, which include rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
The technique will help scientists track the production of the hormone prolactin, which ensures supplies of breast milk in nursing mothers but can be overproduced by some pituitary tumours, causing infertility.
Prolactin has been linked to more than 300 biological functions. It is believed to play a role in auto-immune diseases, including the inflammation of cells and tissues.
Scientists from the universities of Edinburgh, Manchester and Liverpool harnessed firefly and jellyfish genes, which enable these creatures to emit light, and used them to create a chemical reaction to light up cells expressing prolactin in rats.
The technique means that scientists can identify when and where prolactin is expected, to look at how the hormone works in real time, said a release of Edinburgh University.
The study was published in Molecular Endocrinology.
- Fireflies, jellyfish genes shedding light on causes of infertility, autoimmune diseases - Mar 28, 2009
- Breakthrough opens way for curing auto-immune disease - Mar 13, 2012
- Eye colour linked to severity of skin conditions - May 07, 2012
- Breakthrough could nip arthritis in the bud - Jun 13, 2012
- Scientists discover new drug target for immune diseases - Aug 04, 2010
- 'Master switch' that triggers arthritis identified - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Master switch' for key immune cells in inflammatory diseases found - Jan 17, 2011
- Scientists identify regulatory defect that drives lupus - Feb 04, 2011
- Protein discovery could lead to better autoimmune disease, cancer drugs - Mar 03, 2011
- Defects in immune system enzyme 'raise arthritis, diabetes risk' - Jun 17, 2010
- Human body can create its own vaccine to boost the immune system - Dec 15, 2010
- Cell that suppresses immune system discovered - Oct 05, 2010
- Variant form of immune receptor gene 'ups lupus risk in men' - Sep 03, 2010
- Coming soon: treatments for 'winter blues' - Apr 30, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiency may cause infertility - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: auto immune diseases, biological functions, breast milk, causes of infertility, cells and tissues, chemical reaction, edinburgh university, fireflies, firefly, hormone prolactin, immune conditions, infertility, jellyfish, jellyfish genes, lupus, molecular endocrinology, nursing mothers, pituitary tumours, rheumatoid arthritis, shed light