Frequent tipple halves rheumatoid arthritis riskJuly 11th, 2012 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 11 (IANS) A pint of beer or a small glass of wine thrice a week halves risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, a painful condition of the joints.
Researchers from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm think alcohol could help prevent the disease by damping down the immune system. They looked at alcohol consumption and rheumatoid arthritis in 34,000 women born between 1914 and 1948.
They interviewed them twice, once in 1987 and once a decade later, asking them questions about alcohol consumption, diet, smoking history, physical activity and their level of education, the British Medical Journal (bmj.com) reports.
A 150 ml drink was classified as a small glass of wine or half a litre of beer (just under a pint). All types of drink appeared equally as effective, according to the Telegraph.
About 400,000 people in Britain alone suffer rheumatoid arthritis, and it is three times more common in women than in men. Not all are old - almost half are under 65 years.
Symptoms are joint swelling and pain, which is caused by the immune system attacking healthy tissue.
Alan Silman, medical director of Arthritis Research UK, warned: “It must be remembered that drinking alcohol in excess can be especially dangerous in rheumatoid arthritis patients who are taking some anti-rheumatoid drugs that may cause liver damage, and anti-inflammatory pain killers which can lead to gastro-intestinal problems, which can be exacerbated by alcohol.”
- Arthritis invites higher risk of heart attacks - Mar 09, 2012
- Drinking reduces arthritis risk - Jul 29, 2010
- Binge drinkers at 'higher risk of heart disease' - Nov 24, 2010
- 1 in 6 Brits has sworn off alcohol - Jan 28, 2011
- Drinking a glass of wine daily 'helps ward off dementia' - Feb 20, 2011
- Cheers! Drinking a pint of beer a day 'is good for your health' - Jan 14, 2011
- Breakthrough could nip arthritis in the bud - Jun 13, 2012
- Cheers! Beer can help you lose weight - Aug 03, 2010
- Drinking at home is silent killer for Britons - Nov 02, 2011
- Bee sting can help treat arthritis - Jun 28, 2010
- Age no bar as arthritis strikes India's young (Oct 12 is World Arthritis Day) - Oct 12, 2010
- Obesity epidemic behind rheumatoid arthritis - Apr 26, 2012
- Heavy snoring doubles arthritis risk - Jun 28, 2012
- New signaling pathway linked to inflammatory disease discovered - Dec 15, 2010
- Wills-Kat slap 'ban on beer' for their royal wedding reception - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: alcohol consumption, arthritis research, arthritis risk, bmj, british medical journal, drinking alcohol, gastro intestinal problems, glass of wine, immune system, inflammatory pain, karolinska institute in stockholm, litre, liver damage, medical director, pain killers, physical activity, pint of beer, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis patients, silman