Four die in Pakistan from deadly amoebic infectionJuly 22nd, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 22 (IANS) At least four people have died in the port city of Karachi due to an amoebic infection caused by a deadly waterborne organism called naegleria fowleri, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.
All four deaths were caused by primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, an official of the Sindh health department told Dawn News.
A team from the WHO’s Disease Early Warning System (DEWS) visited various government and private hospitals in the city to investigate the situation.
Three people died at the Liaquat National Hospital while one died at the Aga Khan University Hospital.
A microbiologist said it was not a new disease in Pakistan. The first such case was detected in 2005, and there were 17 patients in 2011.
Naegleria fowleri can invade and attack the human nervous system. Such an infection nearly always results in death. The case fatality rate is estimated at 98 percent.
Naegleria lives almost everywhere - in lakes, hot springs and unclean swimming pools.
A media report said people become infected when they wade through shallow water and stir up the bottom. If someone allows water to shoot up the nose, the amoeba can latch onto the olfactory nerve.
The amoeba destroys tissue as it makes its way up into the brain, where it continues the damage, by feeding on the brain cells.
Infected people have a stiff neck, headaches and fevers. In the later stages, they show signs of brain damage such as hallucinations and behavioural changes.
Another microbiologist said the amoeba could not be detected from contaminated stagnant freshwater, but only from the cerebrospinal fluid culture.
Sources of the infection may be the main water reservoirs meant for supplying water to Karachi, an expert said, and suggested scrutiny of the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board for 100 percent chlorinated water supply to residents.
- Amoeba parasite causes second death in the US - Aug 17, 2011
- A pair of clean hands can save lives (May 5 is World Hand Hygiene Day) - May 04, 2011
- Arthritis drug found effective in amoebic dysentery - May 21, 2012
- Blinding amoeba targets contact lens users - Sep 07, 2012
- Brain Fluid Drained Via Catheter, Gabrielle Giffords Needs Time Before Heading For Rehab - Jan 24, 2011
- Contact lenses might harbour pathogens - Oct 21, 2008
- Delhi government to supply free chlorine tablets (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Brain protects sense of smell when blocked - Aug 13, 2012
- 'No increase in drug resistance in cholera bacteria' - Apr 13, 2011
- EPO doping 'can cut cerebral malaria related deaths' - Apr 22, 2011
- Pakistani nurses vulnerable to sexual harassment - Aug 05, 2012
- Health Ministry says Delhi water safe, calls meeting over superbug virus - Apr 12, 2011
- Contact lens cases are home to pathogenic amoebae: Study - Oct 21, 2008
- Six killed in Karachi violence - Jul 24, 2011
- MQM's former lawmaker among five shot dead in Karachi during last 24 hours - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: aga khan university, aga khan university hospital, amoeba, behavioural changes, brain cells, case fatality rate, cerebrospinal fluid, dawn news, early warning system, human nervous system, liaquat national hospital, microbiologist, olfactory nerve, private hospitals, signs of brain damage, sindh health department, stiff neck, swimming pools, water reservoirs, world health organisation