Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders Supports Pot LegalizationOctober 19th, 2010 - 7:57 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Oct 19, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, told Don Lemon of CNN on Sunday, that she supports the legalization of marijuana. Joycelyn Elders had served under Clinton’s administration in 1993. Next month, the state of California will make a decision through ballot initiative whether to legalize pot, also known as proposition 19.
If the ballot polling goes in favor if legalization of Marijuana, then its recreational use will be legally permissible in the state. However, the federal officials have also assured that the existing drug laws will also be simultaneously enforced if its legalization is approved. On asking Joycelyn Elders, that her support for legalization of pot may make the matter worse from bad, she replied that considering the present condition it cannot get worse. She feels that California has too many criminals who are convicted due to violent crimes. Its legalization would reduce the number of non-violent crimes that occur due to consumption of marijuana. She feels horrible when young people are criminalized due to consumption of Marijuana, as it is not a toxic substance and does not cause much environmental hazards. The supporters of legalization of Pot, including Joycelyn Elders, believe that it would raise the revenue and cut the cost of enforcement. Those who are against its legalization focuses on its side effects on the consumer’s physiology. Joycelyn Elders opposes this saying, marijuana is not an addictive substance, and still it is illegal, but alcohol, which is more addictive and responsible for worse physical hazards, has been legalized by the authorities.
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder feels that if consumption of marijuana is legalized, then it would be a major “stumbling Block” for the federal partnership between state and local authorities regarding drug enforcement. Joycelyn Elders, on the other hand, feels that it would enable better use of resources.
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders Says to Legalize Pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders All For Legalization Of Pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders supports legalized pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Proposition 19 To Take Effect Or Receive A Setback? - Nov 02, 2010
- Blake Lively loves her role in 'Savages' - Jul 04, 2012
- Sarah Palin Not In Support Of Legalizing Marijuana - Jun 21, 2010
- $1.7 Billion Worth Of Pot Seized By The Californian Police Officers - Jul 30, 2010
- 4/20 National Weed Day: Will It Soon Be Legal? - Apr 20, 2010
- California Citizens Reject Proposition 19 - Nov 03, 2010
- Breckenridge Citizens Legalize Pot, Law Meant Only For Adults - Nov 05, 2009
- California Voters Renounce Proposition 19 To Legalize Pot - Nov 04, 2010
- New test can detect traces of designer drugs - May 23, 2011
- Barbara Boxer's Aide Arrested For Pot Possesion - Sep 10, 2010
- Dependency on marijuana damages intelligence, shows study - Aug 28, 2012
- Man Complains To Police About Buying Bad Pot, Lands Himself In Jail - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,