Flu Shot Said to Reduce Heart Attack RiskSeptember 21st, 2010 - 3:21 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) According to Reuters Health, a study was published on Monday which showed that if you get the flu shot as a middle aged or older adult, you may be less likely to suffer a heart attack in the next year than those people who opt not to get the shot.
The Canadian Medical Association Journal posted the findings, say that the flu shot does not really prevent heart attacks, but that having the flu infection can sometime trigger a heart attack in older people. Therefore, by logic, those who have a flu shot are less likely to have a heart attack.
When the researchers figured in things like high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, and family history, it showed that the flu shot reduced the chances of having a heart attack by 19%. Or basically, having the flu increases the chance by 19%, getting the flu shot simply wipes out that increased chance.
- Study: Seasonal flu shot lowers heart attack risk by 20% - Oct 01, 2010
- Heart patients watch out, winter can be deadly - Dec 19, 2010
- Beware! Passive smoking riskier than you think (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Seasonal flu vaccine 'lowers first heart attack risk' - Sep 21, 2010
- Seasonal Flu Shot Lowers The Risk Of Heart Attack, Researchers Say - Oct 01, 2010
- HIV may be risk factor in heart failure - Apr 26, 2011
- Smoking okay on reel, not in real: B-Town (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- ECG can also predict heart attacks - Apr 11, 2012
- Smoking hasten cardiac problems, cancer in youngsters (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Patients with HIV infection at greater risk of developing heart failure - Apr 26, 2011
- Senior citizens to get flu vaccines before the dreaded flu season starts - Sep 09, 2010
- Recurrent miscarriage 'ups heart attack risk fivefold in later life' - Dec 02, 2010
- Obesity ups death risk for swine flu patients - Jan 05, 2011
- Moderate exercise can stave off cold, cough - Jan 06, 2012
- Financial woes push older people to alcohol, smoking - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: adult, canadian medical association, canadian medical association journal, diabetes, family history, flu, flu shot, having a heart attack, heart attack, heart attack risk, heart attacks, high blood pressure, logic, medical association journal, reuters health