Five people lose sight after surgery in AndhraDecember 15th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 15 (IANS) At least five people lost their sight and 11 others developed complications after they underwent surgery at a free eye surgery camp in Andhra Pradesh.
Health officials Thursday ordered probe into the incident which took place in Nandyal town of Kurnool district.
Thirtythree people underwent cataract surgery Nov 14. The camp was organized at St. Werburghs Hospital.
Sixteen of them developed complications after the surgery possibly due to infection. They were shocked to learn that some of them would never regain vision.
Officials at St. Werburghs Hospital Thursday admitted that some patients developed post-surgery complications and promised to bear the expenses of their treatment.
“It appears to be a case of infection,” said Kurnool district health officer Venkatapathy, who rushed to Nandyal town to conduct a probe.
- Nine go blind after operation in Andhra - May 27, 2012
- 10 lose eyesight after surgery, Andhra orders probe (Lead) - Oct 26, 2009
- Eleven lose sight after surgery at government camp - Oct 13, 2011
- 10 lose eyesight after surgery, Andhra orders probe (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2009
- Murder at health camp, say blinded patients - Oct 17, 2011
- 13 more blinded after cataract surgery - Oct 16, 2011
- Eye problem cases have increased, say doctors - Oct 12, 2011
- Chhattisgarh denies three dead after operation - Oct 20, 2011
- 10 infants die in Andhra hospital - Sep 02, 2011
- Nine persons lose vision after cataract surgery in Tamil Nadu - Dec 16, 2009
- Senior Pakistani woman MP passes away - Jun 18, 2012
- Mammootty's charity to sponsors 250 more heart patients - Sep 27, 2011
- 22 complain of blurred vision after surgery in free camp (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- 100 blinded after Chhattisgarh eye operations: Jogi - Jan 06, 2012
- Andhra orders probe as 10 lose sight after surgery - Oct 26, 2009