First swine flu death outside Americas reported (Lead)June 15th, 2009 - 6:20 am ICT by IANS
London, June 15 (DPA) The first swine flu death outside the Americas was reported in Scotland, a government spokesman said Sunday in Glasgow.
The death follows about 145 deaths in the Americas, mostly in Mexico, the epicentre of the disease, and the US. An estimated 30,000 people in 74 countries have been infected, says the World Health Organization, which Thursday raised the pandemic influenza alert system to its highest level, Phase 6.
Researchers are racing to produce a vaccine before winter sets in in northern climates, and they are watching closely how the H1N1 virus develops during winter in South America’s southern hemisphere.
The Scottish patient, who died in hospital, had underlying health conditions and was one one of ten people who were being treated for swine flu in hospital in Scotland, the government spokesman said.
For all of Britain, the total of infections has reached at least 1,250 cases. The Scottish government has tallied a total of 498 cases of the influenza virus (H1N1) to date, including another 35 cases reported Sunday.
Family members of the swine flu victim asked that further details not be released, to allow them time to mourn. The sex of the victim as well as the name of the hospital were not released. The clinic was reportedly in Glasgow.
Health officials urge preventive measures such as frequent hand washing and covering mouth and nose with the elbow to prevent the spread through coughs or sneezes. The symptoms are typical of flu, including fever, aches and coughing.
For most people, the symptoms have been mild. Most of the fatalities have occurred in people already weakened by other illness.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Two more swine flu deaths in Delhi, toll 33 - Sep 04, 2010
- First swine flu death in Europe reported - Jun 15, 2009
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 25, 2010
- 54 more cases of swine flu in Delhi - Sep 01, 2010
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- Swine flu spread much wider than suspected - Jun 09, 2011
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) - Apr 26, 2009
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Woman dies of swine flu in Delhi, toll rises to 15 - Aug 13, 2010
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- Chandigarh man dies of swine flu - Aug 28, 2010
Tags: coughs, elbow, epicentre, flu, frequent hand, glasgow health, government spokesman, health conditions, health officials, influenza, influenza virus, northern climates, pandemic influenza, phase 6, preventive measures, scottish government, southern hemisphere, swine flu, winter sets, world health organization