First swine flu case reported in VietnamMay 31st, 2009 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
Hanoi, May 31 (DPA) Vietnamese health authorities Sunday confirmed that a man who recently returned from a trip to the US was the country’s first case of swine flu.
Nguyen Van Chau, director of the Ho Chi Minh City Health Department, told the media Sunday afternoon that a 23-year-old Vietnamese man studying in the US who returned to Vietnam May 26 tested positive for the A(H1N1) swine flu virus.
The newspaper Tuoi Tre reported Sunday there had been 188 passengers travelling on the patient’s flight, United Airlines Flight 869, which landed in Ho Chi Minh City May 26. Authorities said 133 of the passengers were staying in Ho Chi Minh City, while the other 55 were staying in southern provinces.
Chau said his department asked local authorities to quarantine the passengers for seven days to prevent the spread of the disease.
Chau said his department had taken samples from five people who had been in contact with the patient. None tested positive for A(H1N1).
According to the World Health Organisation, 53 countries had reported 15,510 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection, including 99 deaths as of May 29. Since Friday, six additional countries, including Vietnam, have reported their first cases.
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- Etihad Airways to fly daily to Vietnam - Jul 22, 2012
- Vietnamese airliner hosts mid-air bikini pageant - Aug 09, 2012
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- Vietnam, India mark 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations - Jan 05, 2012
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Rights group urges Vietnam to release jailed blogger - Aug 11, 2011
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- 100 mn Chinese vaccinated for swine flu - May 14, 2010
- Swine flu rising in Russia, Europe - Jan 17, 2011
- Emirates launches flights to Vietnam - Jan 05, 2012
- 11 dead in Vietnam from hand-foot-mouth disease - Mar 15, 2012
- Swine flu deaths rise to 133 in Brazil - Jul 25, 2012
- Swine flu returns to Andhra, two fresh cases in Hyderabad - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: chi minh city, city health department, dpa, flu virus, health authorities, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, influenza, local authorities, nguyen van, southern provinces, sunday afternoon, swine flu, united airlines, united airlines flight, van chau, vietnam hanoi, vietnamese health, vietnamese man, world health organisation