First H1N1(Swine Flu) positive case in IndiaMay 16th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by admin
A 23 year old passenger who traveled from USA [Emirates Airline EK-202, departing New York on 11.5.2009 at 11.00 p.m. local time] transiting Dubai [Emirates Airline EK-524] arriving Hyderabad on 13.5.2009 at 3.00 a.m. IST] was quarantined at Hyderabad Airport on the morning of 13th May, 2009 as he was found having fever. Immediately he was shifted to the identified isolation facility under strict infection control. His samples have tested positive for Influenza A [H1N1].
He is on treatment with Oseltamivir and presently afebrile. All his local contacts have been traced. They are afebrile and their health status is being monitored. The Office of the concerned Airlines has been contacted to provide list of passengers who traveled with him in close proximity. Information of such passengers would be provided to the WHO and respective countries through Ministry of External Affairs.
All the passengers who traveled in the connecting flight from Dubai to Hyderabad have been identified and they are being contacted through Integrated Disease Surveillance Project and their health status would be monitored. These passengers are also being advised to remain under home quarantine for further period of seven days.
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India appeals to all passengers who traveled in Flight EK-524 reaching Hyderabad on 13.5.2009 to self monitor for influenza like illness [fever, cough, difficulty in breathing] and to provide their contact details to Government of India on toll free No. 1075 or 1800-11-4377 or Outbreak Monitoring Cell of National Institute of Communicable Diseases at 011-23921401 or Department of Health, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh control room at Chest Hospital, Hyderabad No. 040-23814939 to enable public health authorities to monitor their health status.
- Hyderabad witnesses first swine flu case in India - May 16, 2009
- India has its first swine flu patient - May 16, 2009
- Search for co-passengers of swine-flu infected Indian - May 17, 2009
- Woman, son test positive for swine flu in India - Jun 01, 2009
- Two co-passengers of swine-flu patient under observation (Lead) - May 19, 2009
- 2 co-passengers of swine flu infected Indian under observation - May 18, 2009
- Two fresh cases of swine flu in India, total 10 - Jun 07, 2009
- Five more swine flu cases take India's total to 68 (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- India confirms fresh case of swine flu, total seven now - Jun 06, 2009
- Another swine flu case detected in India - Jun 03, 2009
- Chinese man dies of bird flu - Dec 31, 2011
- Emirates warns flyers against Egypt visit - Jan 30, 2011
- Super jumbo makes emergency landing at Hyderabad airport - Oct 23, 2011
- India confirms fifth case of swine flu - Jun 06, 2009
- Worry about health basics, not malaria during SA World Cup: Study - Jun 06, 2010
Tags: close proximity, communicable diseases, connecting flight, difficulty in breathing, disease surveillance, emirates airline, government of india, health status, hyderabad airport, infection control, influenza, isolation facility, ministry of external affairs, ministry of health, ministry of health and family welfare, oseltamivir, public health authorities, quarantine, surveillance project, swine flu