Fidgeting could add years to your lifeJuly 1st, 2012 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 1 (IANS) Fidgeting could add years to your life just as being sedentary could be harmful for your health.
‘Fidgeting’ may include activities that are unlike exercise, such as standing up and bouncing on your heels, wiggling your hips to some music or sauntering around the house during a TV commercial break.
Although doctors still recommend more than 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise weekly to keep fit, they said less strenuous activities could also be beneficial, the Telegraph reports.
Wilby Williamson, a National Health Service expert in sports and exercise medicine, said: “People are watching television for up to four hours a day and spending 60-70 percent of their time being sedentary, and that is because of our lifestyle and occupations.”
“Reducing our sitting time makes us better at breaking sugars and fats down, which can help reduce our risk of metabolic diseases like diabetes and cardiovascular disease,” Williamson said.
“The risk factors for cardiovascular disease and longevity start to increase above two hours of television watching per day. If you can make your TV watching or screen time more active that could be beneficial,” said Williamson.
- TV addiction boosts diabetes risk among elderly - Jul 31, 2012
- Every hour of TV-watching increases your risk of heart disease - Jun 24, 2010
- Sitting for long hours kills you fast - Mar 28, 2012
- TV viewing more risky for heart than using computers - Nov 17, 2011
- Too much TV 'will put kids' heart at risk' - Apr 21, 2011
- Watching TV for long hours shortens life expectancy - Aug 16, 2011
- Strawberries prevent heart disease, diabetes - Jul 06, 2012
- Taking regular breaks from sitting good for heart, waistline - Jan 12, 2011
- Sitting down for hours could invite cardiac disaster - Aug 10, 2010
- Moderate physical exercises cut cancer risk: WHO - Feb 04, 2011
- Children with pet dogs 'more active' - Sep 23, 2010
- Sedentary officegoers face doubled clot-risk - May 15, 2012
- To Help Waistline and Heart, Take Short Breaks From Sitting - Jan 13, 2011
- Parents don't need to be physically active to help children be active - May 26, 2010
- Watching TV is cutting short your life - Jan 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,