Fenugreek best way to ward off coldJanuary 21st, 2011 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 21 (IANS) Don’t reach out for paracetamol if you’re down with a cold, instead, try out fenugreek in your curry to keep yourself warm, says a study. A nutritionist claims fenugreek, a common ingredient in Indian cuisine, is a ‘winter elixir’ whose anti-viral properties not only alleviate cold and flu symptoms but also prevent the conditions starting in the first place.
The spice, also called Greek hay and wild clover, has been recognised as having medicinal properties for centuries.
During a three-month winter period, 20 volunteers, 10 with colds and flu symptoms and 10 without, consumed half a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds twice a week in a curry, the Daily Mail reports.
The cold-afflicted volunteers reported immediate and sustained relief from symptoms of running nose, cough, sneezing, sore throat and fatigue.
Volunteers who were fit and healthy at the outset remained that way for the duration of the trial, despite usually coming down with a cold at least once in the same period.
The test was conducted by Anglo-Indian chef Gurpareet Bains, author of Indian Superfood. He plans further clinical trials with the help of an American university.
“We already know that some foods and spices can help alleviate the symptoms of cold, but the results of these studies show that fenugreek is significantly more beneficial,” he said.
- Curry 'could provide a cure for the common cold' - Jan 20, 2011
- Indian chef makes curry that helps people sleep - Aug 09, 2012
- Brit-Indian man says his 'fish 'n' chips dish is the world's healthiest' - Jul 16, 2010
- Indian-origin "superfood" guru creates alcoholic cocktail that prevents hangovers! - Dec 21, 2009
- How to protect kids this flu season - Jan 16, 2011
- Flu transmitted before symptoms appear, says study - Aug 30, 2012
- One swine flu death, 40 new cases in Delhi - Aug 23, 2010
- Excess intake of Paracetamol could take away life - Nov 23, 2011
- Mughal era broth evolves in old Delhi bylanes (Feature) - Sep 23, 2011
- Two swine flu deaths, 37 new cases in Delhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Cure for the common cold a step closer - Nov 02, 2010
- The hour-by-hour guide of combating a cold before it takes a toll on you! - Dec 20, 2010
- Tips To Stay Healthy This Flu Season - Nov 08, 2010
- New super A carrots boost vision - Nov 21, 2009
- A sneeze can contaminate surroundings for hours - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: anglo indian, clover, cold and flu, cold and flu symptoms, colds and flu, daily mail, elixir, fenugreek, fenugreek seeds, indian chef, indian cuisine, jan 21, london jan, nutritionist, outset, paracetamol, running nose, sore throat, superfood, winter period