FDA Orders Lowering of the Amount of Pain Reliever in VicodinJanuary 14th, 2011 - 1:45 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Jan 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The health regulators from the Food and Drug Administration have decided to limit the amount on one key painkilling ingredient in a several prescription pain killers such as Vicodin, Percocet, and others. The announcement from the FDA came on Thursday that there will be a new limit set on the amount of acetaminophen that will be allowed in those products.
The new limit is going to be 325 milligrams per capsule. At the current time, there are products on the market which have doses of the drug up to seven hundred milligrams. This can be very dangerous, since acetaminophen is linked to literally thousands of medical cases of liver damage annually.
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever that is found in many over the counter medications, such as Tylenol, NyQuil, and thousands of others which are used to treat symptoms such as headache, sore throat, fever, sprains, muscle aches, and more. But the fact that these medications are often used in the home makes the high level of acetaminophen in prescription pain killers even more dangerous.
While the prescriptions such as Vicodin, Percocet, and Oxycodone may contain safe levels of acetaminophen alone, patients often mix these products with other acetaminophen containing medications which the purchased over the counter. It is for this reason that the FDA is also considering new requirements for labeling of medications which contain acetaminophen, which now often is simply labeled as APAP, instead of the word “acetaminophen.”
Edit 2:22 pm EST : Fixed spelling
- FDA orders lowering of pain relieving ingredient in Vicodin - Jan 14, 2011
- FDA Orders Limitations On Vicodin's Key Ingredient Acetaminophen - Jan 14, 2011
- Misuse of over-the-counter pain relievers can cause severe liver damage - May 03, 2011
- Simple test detects fake drugs in minutes - Aug 20, 2012
- Tylenol Recall 2009 - Sep 25, 2009
- Opioids now most prescribed class of medications in US - Apr 06, 2011
- Can a pill ease both physical and psychological pain? - Dec 26, 2009
- Ibuprofen may reduce risk of Parkinson's disease - Mar 03, 2011
- Teen girl offers drugs to cop, arrested - Jan 25, 2012
- FDA issues stern warning against 'Magic Power Coffee' - Jun 22, 2010
- Tylenol Recall Expanded By Johnson & Johnson - Jul 09, 2010
- Tylenol Recalled Due To Bacterial Contamination - May 08, 2010
- Bacterial contamination found in the recalled Tylenol products - May 05, 2010
- Congressional panel to investigate the Tylenol recall - May 07, 2010
- Tylenol For Kids Makes A Comeback - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: acetaminophen, apap, current time, fda, fever, food and drug, food and drug administration, health regulators, liver damage, medical cases, milligrams, nyquil, pain reliever, percoset, prescription pain killers, prescriptions, sore throat, sprains, tylenol, vicotin