FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Contrave’s ApprovalDecember 9th, 2010 - 8:33 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Dec 9, (THAINDIAN NEWS) For all those who want to shed those extra kilos, there is surely some good news. On Tuesday, an advisory panel of the Food and Drug Administration recommended the agency to give approval to the anti-obesity drug Contrave. Although there is nothing sacrosanct about the fact that FDA would have to take into consideration the recommendations of the advisory board, usually the agency follows the advice of the panel. The advisory panel’s backing of Contrave comes after two other anti-obesity drugs namely Qnexa and Lorcaserin were rejected by the board earlier this year.
Contrave is basically a combination pill which blends an anti-addiction drug with the anti-depressant bupropion and it is manufactured by the drugmaker Orexigen Therapeutics Inc. Whether the weight-loss pill would actually emerge as a boon to those who intend to get rid of the extra calories would be clear when the FDA takes a decision on it early next year. According to reports, FDA is slated to reach a decision on the weight-loss drug by January 31.
However, the approval of Contrave is not gaining wide support as experts have expressed concern about the health ramifications of the drug with many reiterating that the weight-loss pill might have an adverse affect on the heart of the patients. Meanwhile, the proponents of the drug have emphasized that the supposed risk that Contrave poses is convincingly outweighed by it health benefits. The studies that have been undertaken to ascertain the utility of the drug have pointed out that patients who are administered Contrave lose 4.2 per cent more wait than those who do not take the medicine.
- FDA Panel Rejects Vivus' Weight Loss Pill Qnexa - Jul 19, 2010
- FDA Advisory Committee Rejects Vivus Inc. Weight Loss Pill - Jul 19, 2010
- FDA declines permission for diet drug - Feb 02, 2011
- Drugs used to treat addiction may help people lose weight - Jul 30, 2010
- China bans 15 products over heart disease concern - Nov 01, 2010
- FDA Nixes Weight Loss Drug Lorcaserin On Safety Ground - Oct 26, 2010
- Contrave: The Weight Loss Drug - Jul 22, 2009
- Potential mechanisms that contribute to 'I am full' feeling identified - Mar 04, 2011
- FDA rejects weight loss pill - Jul 19, 2010
- World's first anti-obesity shot promising - Jul 09, 2012
- No evidence that slimming supplements facilitate weight loss: Study - Jul 13, 2010
- Green Signal To New Morning After Pill By FDA Advisory Panel - Jun 20, 2010
- Brits warned against using anti-obesity pill - Mar 06, 2010
- Weight-loss drug increases blood pressure: Review - Jul 10, 2009
- Fight obesity to fight ailments, say doctors (Nov 26 is Anti-Obesity Day) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: addiction drug, advisory board, advisory panel, anti depressant, blends, boon, bupropion, calories, combination pill, contrave, fda, food and drug, food and drug administration, gina gomez, health benefits, health ramifications, obesity drug, obesity drugs, proponents, therapeutics inc