Falak still critical, may undergo another brain surgeryFebruary 19th, 2012 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) Battling for survival at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for a month, two-year-old battered baby Falak is likely undergo another life-saving brain surgery, a doctor treating her said.
“We were waiting for the brain infection to subside. The culture test on the brain tisue has shown that her infection has subsided. We are likely to conduct the shunt surgery today (Sunday) or tomorrow (Monday),” Deepak Agrawal, assistant professor (neurosurgery) at the AIIMS Trauma Centre told IANS.
The procedure involves the insertion of a shunt to divert fluid from the brain into the abdominal cavity, where it is absorbed into the bloodstream.
According to doctors, Falak has already undergone five life-saving surgeries.
“The two-year-old is still critical but stable. She has already undergone five life- saving surgeries. She is still on ventilator support,” Agrawal said.
However, the doctors who are treating Falak said she won’t be able to lead a normal life even after she recovers from her injuries.
“She was suffering from brain infection for over two weeks, which is now sustained. The infection must have affected parts of her brain. Even if she recovers, it might deprive her of a normal life in future,” Agrawal added.
Meanwhile, Munni, a 22-year-old woman who claims to be Falak’s mother, visited her for the first time at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.
“Munni was here only for 15 minutes. She was left alone in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). She was very emotional and tears rolled from her eyes. She left the room without uttering a word,” Agrawal added.
Falak was admitted to AIIMS Jan 18 by a 14-year-old girl who claimed to be her mother. The baby was in a critical condition as her head was fractured and she had human bite marks all over her tiny frame.
Investigations in the case have pointed to a likely human trafficking and prostitution racket, police said.
- Falak coping well after fifth surgery: Doctor - Feb 22, 2012
- Falak responding to treatment, still critical: Doctor - Feb 29, 2012
- Baby Falak remains on ventilator, still critical - Feb 13, 2012
- Baby Falak back on ventilator, still critical: Doctor - Feb 12, 2012
- Falak fit to be discharged: Doctors - Mar 07, 2012
- Baby Falak taken off ventilator, improvement in health (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Baby Falak to be discharged in a week - Mar 09, 2012
- Falak back on ventilator after having breathing problems, say doctors - Feb 11, 2012
- Battered baby Falak dies of cardiac arrest (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Falak coping well, could be out of ICU soon - Mar 01, 2012
- Battered baby Falak better, discharge likely soon, say doctors - Mar 03, 2012
- Baby Falak showing signs of improvement: Doctors - Feb 10, 2012
- Baby Falak's brother found - Feb 15, 2012
- Baby Falak slightly better, next 48 hours crucial: Doctors (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Baby Falak's mother performs her last rites - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,