Eye operation helps blind Briton to seeMay 4th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
London, May 3 (IANS) A 54-year-old Briton, who has been blind for 20 years, was able to see a sudden pulsating light in his left eye after doctors implanted a wafer-thin microchip at the back of his eye.
Chris James saw a sudden pulsating light in his left eye, like a camera bulb or a lighting flash after doctors switched on a wafer-thin, 3 mm microchip implanted at the back of his eye, The Independent reported Thursday.
Now he can distinguish shapes and might, in time, be even able to recognise faces.
James’ experimental “bionic eye” reacts to light sending an electronic signal that is picked by the optic nerve and processed by the brain into an image.
The treatment could partially restore the sight of thousands of sufferers of a condition called retinitis pigmentosa, which causes the photoreceptor cells at the back of the eye to deteriorate.
In March, James, a council worker from Wroughton in Wiltshire, underwent an eight hour operation at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford to have the chip implanted.
The surgery involves inserting a fine cable through the layers of the eyeball to place the chip on an area of the retina the size of a pinhead. The chip is connected to a power source implanted under the skin behind the ear.
- Astonishing bionic enables blind to see - Nov 22, 2011
- Bionic eye to help the blind 'see' - Nov 27, 2010
- Bionic eye can restore lost vision - Nov 03, 2010
- Oz's first bionic eye a step closer to reality - Apr 01, 2011
- Camera chip offers hope to people with blindness-linked condition - Oct 19, 2010
- 'Bionic eye' to help the blind 'see' - Dec 21, 2010
- Electronic implants to give sight back to blind - Nov 03, 2010
- Scientists unveil bionic eye for future implantation - Apr 12, 2010
- Bionic implants melding man and machine - Nov 08, 2010
- Microchip to power first bionic eye - Apr 04, 2011
- Compound likely to regenerate vision in humans - Jul 26, 2012
- Bionic 'eye' restores partial vision in woman - Oct 22, 2009
- Bionic eye restores partial vision in US woman - Oct 22, 2009
- Novel retinal implant to restore partial vision developed - Sep 24, 2009
- Flourescent lamps hurt eyes - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: bionic eye, brain, briton, doctors, electronic signal, eye operation, eyeball, john radcliffe hospital, left eye, lighting flash, microchip, optic nerve, oxford, photoreceptor cells, pinhead, power source, retina, shapes, wafer, wroughton