Exposure to goats linked to rare lung cancerSeptember 25th, 2011 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 25 (IANS) People who work with goats are exposed to greater risks of a rare lung cancer, says a new research.
The study has linked exposure to goats with a distinct subset of lung cancer, known as pneumonic-type lung adenocarcinoma (P-ADC).
“Scientists have noticed similarities between P-ADC and a contagious viral infection in sheep before,” said Nicolas Girard from the Louis Pradel Hospital, Hospices Civils de Lyon, France, who led the study.
Girard and colleagues investigated whether a viral agent found in sheep and goats could be easily transferred to people who work with the animals, leading to risk for P-ADC, according to a Louis Pradel statement.
The study involved 44 patients with P-ADC and 132 disease free participants. All of them were asked about risk factors including their smoking status, their personal history of cancer and their exposure to goats.
The results showed that people who worked with goats during their lifetime were five times more likely to get P-ADC compared with other types of lung cancer.
- Viral infection hits Himalayan blue sheep in wild - Sep 20, 2012
- Synthetic compound may lead to drugs to fight pancreatic, lung cancer - Mar 10, 2011
- Blood protein in lung cancer may help improve diagnosis, treatment - Mar 03, 2011
- Diesel fumes may hasten lung cancer mortality - Mar 04, 2012
- India witnessing rise in pancreatic cancer, say doctors - Oct 06, 2011
- Scientists unravel genes linked to lung cancer in smokers - Aug 21, 2009
- Cheap, fast test identifies aggressive type of lung cancer in never-smokers - Feb 26, 2011
- Toenails may hold clue to lung cancer risk - Mar 05, 2011
- 'Kicking butt reduces lung cancer by 90 percent' - Nov 24, 2010
- Genetic change helps lung tumors spread to other parts of the body - Apr 07, 2011
- B6 and lung cancer: Vitamin lowers risk - Jun 17, 2010
- Why lung cancer rates are increasing in non-smoking women - Jun 02, 2010
- Obesity no bar to fitness and health - Sep 05, 2012
- Wealthy people more likely to be get certain cancers - Dec 19, 2010
- Women on nightshift may escape skin cancer - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,