Experts express concern over skewed sex ratioDecember 22nd, 2011 - 1:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) Experts and policy makers Wednesday expressed grave concern over the steep decline in sex ratio in the past three decades in the country. The sex ratio in 2011 is 914 against 962 in 1981.
Satish Agnihotri, an expert on child survival and nutrition, said: “Since 2001 there has been an overall decrease in the number of children between 0-6 years and within this we have in many parts of the country reached an extremely skewed ratio of 60 (boys) to 40 (girls). This phenomenon can be seen throughout the country.”
Community representatives from south and west Delhi, which included adolescents and women, shared their experiences of fighting gender bias in their lives.
Priyanka, age 18, urged everyone to do their bit to raise the status of the girl child.
She pointed out how in the heart of a mega city like Delhi many girls were not given the opportunity to get educated or participate in local activities and initiatives.
- Implement law against sex selection stringently: Azad - Sep 28, 2011
- Civil society calls for attention to declining sex ratio - Apr 01, 2011
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- Punjab sees overall increase in sex ratio - Apr 08, 2011
- Need to change attitude towards girl child: Tirath - Jan 24, 2012
- Baby girls more malnourished than boys, says survey - Jan 17, 2012
- Child sex ratio worst since Independence: Census 2011 - Mar 31, 2011
- Need to fight bias against girl child: President - Aug 14, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Bachchans give huge fillip to the 'girl child' in India - Nov 23, 2011
- Improve India's sex ratio, says president - Mar 17, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Carry gender auditing of government schemes: Pranab - Nov 19, 2011
- Change mindset to curb female foeticide: Experts - Jul 13, 2012
- Blot on humanity, says twitterati on baby Afreen's death - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: 6 years, adolescents, age 18, child survival, community representatives, experiences, gender bias, girl child, girls, grave concern, initiatives, mega city, New Delhi, nutrition, phenomenon, satish, sex ratio, steep decline, three decades, west delhi