Exercising beneficial for the obeseFebruary 21st, 2012 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 21 (IANS) Exercise is beneficial for you, especially if you are obese or have diabetes, maintain researchers.
Daniel Green professor at The University of Western Australia School of Sports Science said although bariatric (weight loss) surgery was being promoted, exercise was still valuable for overweight and obese people.
“Exercise is good for you whether you lose weight or not, because it can help increase muscle mass, improve artery function and decrease the risks of heart attack, stroke and diabetes,” said Green, reports the Medical Journal of Australia.
“Recent studies suggest that obese people who develop some level of fitness have a lower cardiovascular disease and death risk than those who are lean but unfit, according to a Western Australia statement.
“Exercise is especially good at preventing diabetes in obese people, who are at higher risk of developing this disease,” added Green.
Green said experts recommended comprehensive weight management programs should be available for obese patients and those with Type 2 diabetes.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Leaner diabetics have higher death rate - Aug 08, 2012
- Better body image helps weight loss - Jul 18, 2011
- Exercise best medicine for chronic disease - Nov 11, 2011
- Bariatric surgery can 'safely' cut health risk in severely obese - Mar 15, 2011
- Weight loss from surgery cuts risk for cardiovascular disease in women - Sep 17, 2010
- Weight Watchers' members lose twice as many kilos - Sep 08, 2011
- International Diabetes Federation backs surgery in fight against diabetes - Mar 29, 2011
- Hit the gym to maintain health gains after weight loss - Sep 23, 2010
- Nearly 25pc of overweight women think they're normal size: Study - Nov 23, 2010
- Lifestyle intervention program cuts risk of type 2 diabetes - Oct 02, 2010
- Diet-exercise combo improves obese seniors' quality of life - Mar 31, 2011
- Weight loss lowers diabetics' risk of heart attacks - May 04, 2012
- Bariatric surgery cuts long-term cardiovascular risk in diabetics - Mar 31, 2011
- Bariatric surgery bringing hope for diabetics (Nov 14 is World Diabetes Day) - Nov 13, 2011
- Being overweight does not carry higher death risk - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,