Excessive ritualism linked to mental disorderDecember 29th, 2011 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Dec 29 (IANS) Hypersensitivity and sticking to childhood rituals may be an early warning sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) later.
Its symptoms include excessive washing or cleaning, repeated checking, preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts and nervous rituals such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room.
Reuven Dar, professor of psychology at the Tel Aviv University who led the study, first suspected the link while working with OCD patients who reported sensitivity to touch and taste as children, the Journal of Behaviour Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry reports.
“If you see that a child is very rigid with rituals, becoming anxious if unable to engage in this behaviour, it is more alarming,” he explained.
Also, age is a factor. A habit exhibited by a five or six-year-old is not necessarily a predictor of OCD, according to a Tel Aviv statement.
If the same behaviour continues to the ages of eight and above, it could be a warning sign, especially if accompanied by anxiety or distress.
The study suggests that when children experience heightened levels of sensitivity, they develop ritualistic behaviours to better cope with their environment and later OCD.
Two studies were devised to map the connection between sensory processing, rituals, and OCD. Results from both studies indicated a strong connection between compulsive tendencies and hypersensitivity.
In children, hypersensitivity was an indicator of ritualism, whereas in adults it was related to OCD symptoms.
- What can sportsmen, OCD patients have in common? - Sep 22, 2011
- Early treatment can cure compulsive handwashing - Apr 04, 2011
- Anxiety-ridden less sensitive to their environment - Dec 21, 2011
- OCD linked to common childhood illness - Oct 21, 2010
- Ciggie cravings result from habit, not addiction - Jul 14, 2010
- PANDAS are not a big fan of stress - Apr 11, 2010
- Anxiety disorder common in people with Tourette syndrome - Jun 18, 2010
- Deep brain stimulation shows promise for OCD - Oct 05, 2010
- Brain chemical linked to obsessive compulsive disorder found - Apr 27, 2010
- Kidney disease gene linked to debilitating mental disorder - Jan 05, 2011
- Co-workers support key to longevity - Aug 05, 2011
- Food addiction - a condition with clinical symptoms - Jul 12, 2011
- Childhood obesity linked to bladder, urinary cancer - Jul 24, 2012
- Pacemaker implanted in brain at Delhi hospital - Sep 13, 2010
- Clutter hoarding may run in one's family - Sep 26, 2009
Tags: adults, anxiety, behaviour therapy, early warning, experimental psychiatry, habit, hypersensitivity, mental disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, ocd patients, preoccupation, psychology, religious thoughts, reuven dar, ritualism, rituals, study suggests that, tel aviv university, tendencies, warning sign