Epididymitis : Infection Speeding UpJune 21st, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by GD
Leading to sterility and cancer, Epididymitis is an infection in men, both young and old. It is possible that one gets the disease from a groin injury, heavy lifting and straining, as well as not passing urine on time. An inflammation on the Epididymitis, which is tube like organ at the back of the testicle, is known as Epididymitis. This disease is generally caused due to the bacterial organisms that are present in the organ due to urinary tract infection or can be sexually-transmitted also at times. Therefore, getting oneself tested after unprotected sex is crucial.
The symptoms of the disease are slight fever, chill, and heavy sensation in the testicles which later on develops into swelling of the scrotum and pain in the area, thus making urinating painful.
If treated appropriately and on time then chances are that the pain improves within 1-3 days, however, the swelling may take several weeks to vanish. Doctors treat the disease with Antibiotics either through shots or pills by mouth. However, if treated at later stages then it can result in infertility and chronic pain. It is also advised that in order to decrease the pain one can take bed-rest or even take warm tub soaks. To catch hold of the disease doctors advice individuals to get a blood test and ultrasound test done.
Websites are instructing individuals with having symptoms of epididymitis to reduce the risk of spreading the infection. It is good to avoid sexual intercourse until one can be examined by a doctor.
- First ever bulldog with sex reversal identified - Mar 24, 2011
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- 'Low water intake causes urinary tract infections' - Nov 04, 2010
- Shrimp shell nanoparticle combats microbes, heals wounds - Mar 18, 2012
- Researchers develop painless test for chlamydia - Jul 30, 2009
- Urine test can detect tuberculosis, say Delhi scientists - Aug 05, 2011
- Amar Singh's medical reports paint grim picture - Sep 14, 2011
- Cranberry juice not effective against urinary tract infections: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- Bugs filch copper to spread urinary infections - Jul 09, 2012
- Man's scent can reveal if he has STD - Dec 11, 2011
- Bulging waist damages sexual, urinary functions - Aug 01, 2012
- Chronic kidney disorders threaten India's diabetics (March 10 is World Kidney Day) - Mar 10, 2011
- Urine test can detect cancers early - Jun 10, 2011
- Use of morning after pill worries pharmacists (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Use of morning after pill concerns pharmacists - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: antibiotics, bacterial organisms, bed rest, blood test, chill, chronic pain, epididymitis, groin injury, infertility, inflammation, passing urine, scrotum, sensation, sexual intercourse, sterility, testicle, testicles, ultrasound test, unprotected sex, urinary tract infection