Encephalitis kills 15 kids in BiharJune 2nd, 2012 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 2 (IANS) Suspected encephalitis has killed 15 children in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts in the last week, officials said Saturday.
The mosquito-borne disease, which claimed nearly 150 lives last year, has returned with a vengeance.
Eleven children have died in Muzaffarpur and four in Gaya. Over two dozen children have been admitted to hospitals in both places.
According to officials, 24 children have been admitted for treatment in hospitals in Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from here.
Muzaffarpur civil surgeon Gayan Bhusan said the children died after contracting high fever followed by convulsions.
“Nearly half a dozen children are battling for life in one Gaya,” said A.K. Ravi, a child specialist at one hospital.
Encephalitis is a condition of acute inflammation of the brain resulting either from a viral infection or when the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the brain tissue.
- Encephalitis toll rises to 18 - Jun 04, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Cold wave in Bihar ends encephalitis epidemic - Dec 27, 2011
- Two more kids die of encephalitis in Bihar, toll 85 - Nov 17, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 3 kids in Bihar, toll at 92 - Dec 08, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 8 more kids in Bihar - Oct 13, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis kills 68 kids in Gaya - Oct 17, 2011
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Bihar: Suspected brain disease kills 54 children - Oct 03, 2011
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: acute inflammation, brain tissue, child specialist, civil surgeon, convulsions, encephalitis, half a dozen, high fever, hospitals, immune system, inflammation of the brain, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, muzaffarpur, patna, vengeance, viral infection