Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230June 24th, 2012 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Patna June 24 (IANS) Five more children died of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district Sunday, taking the toll in the state to 230 since May, an official said.
Additional Secretary (Health) R.P. Ojha said that of the 581 children with AES symptoms admitted to hospitals, 230 have died.
He told mediapersons that AES, a mosquito-borne disease, had claimed the lives of 162 children so far in Muzaffarpur district alone - the highest figure in the state.
Most of these children died at the Sri Krishna Memorial College Hospital and the Kejriwal Charitable Hospital.
As many as 52 children have so far died at the Patna Medical College Hospital and 11 at Anugrah Narain Medical College Hospital in Gaya.
Three children died in Vaishali and two in Sitamarhi districts.
Bihar health officials said they had identified 10 districts where the disease has spread.
“In the last four days, the number of fresh AES cases AES have reduced due to the rain,” a health official said.
Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey has told striking junior doctors of Patna Medical College and Hospital to resume work in view of the spreading AES. The strike entered its 10th day Sunday.
The government has decided to provide a compensation of Rs.50,000 each to the kins of the AES victims from the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
The districts worst affected by AES are Patna, Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Sitamarhi, East Champaran and Vaishali.
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- In encephalitis-hit Bihar, parents pray to god to save their kids - Jun 29, 2012
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Two more kids die of encephalitis in Bihar, toll 85 - Nov 17, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: acute encephalitis, aes, ashwani, champaran, charitable hospital, chief minister, health minister, health official, health officials, june 24, junior doctors, kins, medical college hospital, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, muzaffarpur district, ojha, rs 50, sri krishna, vaishali