Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159June 16th, 2012 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 16 (IANS) Nine more children have died of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Bihar’s Gaya, Muzaffarpur and Patna districts, taking the state’s toll from the disease to 159 in the last three weeks, officials said here Saturday.
“Fresh AES cases have been reported from all the 10 identified districts where the disease has spread,” a health department official here said.
Additional Secretary (Health) R.P. Ojha said that of the 409 children detected with AES symptoms, 159 have died and 82 others have been admitted to various hospitals in the state. The rest have been discharged after treatment.
According to health officials, AES, a mosquito-borne disease, has claimed lives of 100 children in Muzaffarpur district alone - the highest figure in the state. Most of these children died at the Sri Krishna Memorial College and Hospital and the Kejriwal Charitable Hospital.
As many as 47 children have died at the Patna Medical College Hospital (PMCH) and 12 at Gaya’s Anugrah Narain Medical College Hospital.
Alarmed by the situation, state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey has asked the striking junior doctors of the PMCH to resume work.
“We have cancelled leaves of doctors in the all the affected districts and alerted hospitals to provide prompt treatment,” Choubey said.
A team from New Delhi is in Muzaffarpur, around 75 km from here, to help contain the fatal viral disease.
The worst affected districts include Patna, Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Sitamarhi, East Champaran and Vaishali.
“All medical colleges and hospitals have been directed to provide free medicines to patients having AES symptoms,” said Health Secretary Vayasji.
Bihar is yet to officially declare AES an epidemic, which is mostly killing children from poor families.
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected encephalitis kills six more - Sep 14, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: acute encephalitis, anugrah, champaran, charitable hospital, fatal viral disease, free medicines, gaya, health minister, health secretary, junior doctors, killing children, medical college hospital, medical colleges, mosquito borne disease, muzaffarpur, ojha, pmch, poor families, sri krishna, vaishali