Eggs at breakfast help teenagers modulate hunger, weightJune 3rd, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 3 (IANS) A protein-rich breakfast, containing eggs, improves appetite control among adolescents and may also help obese adolescents manage weight, research says.
Researchers examined the impact of a protein-rich breakfast on adolescents who traditionally skipped breakfast.
When the study participants ate a protein-rich breakfast, the researchers observed that the teenagers were less hungry and ate approximately 130 fewer calories at lunch.
“We observed that eating breakfast, regardless of composition, led to increased feelings of fullness (satiety),” says Heather J. Leidy, assistant professor, University of Missouri, and study author.
“However, when the adolescents ate a breakfast rich in protein, they also experienced a reduction in hunger, thus maximising the beneficial effects of protein,” Leidy adds.
“This study supports similar findings in adults that showed that when adults ate breakfast meals containing high-quality protein foods, including eggs and lean Canadian bacon, they had a greater feeling of satiety throughout the day compared to when protein was eaten at lunch or dinner,” she adds.
Another study published in the Journal of Paediatrics demonstrated that severely obese adolescents who followed a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet had significantly lower body mass index (BMI) after 13 weeks and were also able to maintain weight loss after six months versus those who followed a low-fat diet.
The obese adolescents who followed the high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet also experienced greater fat mass loss and reductions in triglyceride levels, said a University of Missouri release.
The findings were published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- High protein breakfasts can help obese teens manage weight - Jun 03, 2010
- High-protein diet reduces hunger in obese - Jul 11, 2011
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- Protein-rich breakfast wards off overeating - May 20, 2011
- 3 square meals a day with lean protein help curb hunger for weight loss - Apr 01, 2011
- Low-carb diets better for easing weight: Study - Dec 13, 2011
- Low-Carbohydrate Diet Beats Low-Fat Diet In Decreasing Heart Risk - Aug 04, 2010
- Eat eggs for breakfast to lose weight - Apr 13, 2010
- Don't skip meals to shed weight - Jul 15, 2012
- Eggs for breakfast easy way to cut calories - Apr 21, 2009
- Three meals a day help in weight loss than six mini-meals - Sep 24, 2010
- Proteins protect bones during weight loss dieting - Dec 01, 2011
- Lean protein helps dieters resist late night snacks - Apr 01, 2011
- Dietary proteins critical in maintaining overall health - May 02, 2010
- High-protein diet should begin with breakfast - Jul 25, 2010
Tags: american medical association, appetite control, body mass index, body mass index bmi, breakfast meals, canadian bacon, high protein low carbohydrate diet, journal of paediatrics, journal of the american medical association, leidy, low carbohydrate diet, low fat diet, mass loss, protein foods, quality protein, rich breakfast, satiety, study author, study participants, triglyceride levels