Drinking gallons of water does erase wrinklesSeptember 20th, 2010 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 20 (IANS) Recent research suggests that not only does water help the skin, but the extent to which it makes a difference may vary depending on the type one drinks.
Doctors and nutritionists agree that drinking at least eight glasses of water daily helps maintain a clear, youthful complexion. They are agreed that oodles of water will ‘flush out’ our systems, banish spots, plump out wrinkles and moisturise our skin.
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, female volunteers were told to drink one-and-half litres of water daily for eight weeks without changing their lifestyle, reports the Daily Mail.
Some drank ordinary tap water. Others drank Willow Water, a natural mineral water sourced in the Lake district in Britain. The latter contains salicin, a derivative of willow bark which, when metabolised, turns into salicylic acid, a compound found in a number of skin products, known for its anti-inflammatory properties and acts in the same way as aspirin.
Each woman had her picture taken before and after the trial using the latest, state-of-the-art Visia complexion analysis system.
It examines the extent and depth of wrinkles, the texture of skin and the amount of sun damage, to allow detailed comparison.
At the end of the trial, the results were astonishing. Those who drank ordinary tap water saw a 19 percent reduction in their wrinkles. Those who drank Willow Water saw a dramatic 24 percent reduction.
- 10 do's and don'ts for a healthy, glowing skin - Nov 15, 2010
- Beat the summer - sleep well, eat well for glowing skin - Apr 18, 2012
- Yogurt-like drink DanActive cuts rate of common infections in daycare kids - May 20, 2010
- Underwood laments ignoring mom's beauty advice - Apr 18, 2012
- Forget botox, moisturisers best for wrinkles - Jun 02, 2010
- Swimming too often in chlorinated water 'ups bladder cancer risk' - Mar 17, 2011
- Moisturizer 'more than enough to keep wrinkles at bay' - Jun 01, 2010
- Liquid nitrogen 'best treatment for common warts' - Sep 14, 2010
- Unhealthy lifestyle makes women look '4 years older' than their actual age - Dec 22, 2010
- Celebrate Holi, but with care - Mar 18, 2011
- For soft summer skin, cut out fizzy drinks, eat healthy - Apr 24, 2010
- Balanced diet and sunscreen, not water, can give beautiful skin - Nov 20, 2009
- Green tea and tai chi 'improve quality of life in postmenopausal women' - Apr 11, 2011
- Celebrex shows potential in preventing some skin cancers - Dec 01, 2010
- China probes chemical spill - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: aspirin, complexion, controlled trial, daily mail, derivative, double blind placebo, female volunteers, lake district, natural mineral water, nutritionists, oodles, salicylic acid, skin products, sourced, state of the art, sun damage, tap water, willow bark, willow water, wrinkles