Drinking black tea daily keeps heart disease awayApril 13th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 13 (IANS) Drinking just a cup of black tea regularly may help protect against cardiovascular disease, according to the latest study.
The research, conducted by University of L’Aquila in Italy and supported by Lipton Institute of Tea, is the first to show that black tea consumption does improve blood vessel reactivity, and reduce both blood pressure and arterial stiffness, indicating a notably better cardiovascular health profile.
Relying on 19 healthy men (mean age 33), the researchers assigned participants to one of five prescribed intakes of black tea over five periods lasting one week each.
The caffeine level of each dose was standardised but the dose of tea flavonoids was controlled at levels of 0 (the control dose), 100, 200, 400 and 800 mg of tea flavonoids per day.
A standard cup of black tea contains approximately 100-200 mg of flavonoids, depending on the individual preference of tea making.
During research, participants avoided naturally flavonoid-rich food and drink such as red wine and chocolate to ensure that the results were a true reflection of flavonoid-rich black tea consumption only, said a University of L’Aquila release.
Claudio Ferri, professor and principal study investigator, explained: “Our study demonstrates that commercially available black tea can affect vascular function in normal individuals. We clearly demonstrated that vascular function improvement exerted by black tea starts with one cup per day and further improves by increasing the number of daily cups of tea.”
“Protection of vascular properties, starting with drinking even a single cup of regular, black tea, suggests that black tea can exert cardiovascular benefits in common tea drinkers,” he said.
These findings are slated for publication in The Journal of Hypertension.
- Take tea to avoid heart problems, diabetes - Feb 18, 2012
- Three cups of tea daily can protect against heart attacks - Oct 10, 2010
- Three Cups Of Tea A Day Can Prevent Heart Attack - Oct 10, 2010
- Black tea is beneficial for health - Dec 31, 2011
- Drinking tea daily 'as good as water in keeping you hydrated' - Mar 28, 2011
- Drinking tea cuts blood pressure - Jan 28, 2012
- Coffee and tea 'cut heart disease risk' - Jun 19, 2010
- Moderate tea, coffee consumption reduces heart disease - Jun 19, 2010
- Tea losing popularity among youngsters - Oct 21, 2010
- Are diet soft drinks invitation to heart attacks? - Feb 01, 2012
- Can three cups of tea a day prevent heart diseases? - Oct 10, 2010
- Pine bark extract improves kidney function in patients with metabolic syndrome - Mar 02, 2011
- Taking apples daily keeps cardio risks at bay - Jul 08, 2011
- Eating berries could cut risk of Parkinson's - Feb 14, 2011
- Having chocolate, red wine regularly may help protect against Alzheimer's - Jul 10, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,