Does cinnamon beat heart disease, diabetes?August 27th, 2010 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 27 (IANS) Could cinnamon help prevent diabetes and heart disease?
A study indicates that a cinnamon-water solution contains anti-oxidants that can slash chances of getting either disease by up to 23 percent.
The Centre for Applied Health Sciences researchers in Fairlawn, Ohio, US, studied a group of ‘pre-diabetic’ obese people. Pre-diabetes preceds full-blown diabetes, reports the Daily Mail.
Half the participants were given 250 mg of water-soluble cinnamon to take daily, the other half had a placebo.
Sufferers become resistant to higher-than-normal levels of insulin — the hormone used to regulate blood-sugar levels — produced by the pancreas.
Blood was collected at the start and end of the survey, published by the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, with cinnamon drinkers recording a 13 to 23 percent increase in antioxidants linked to lowering blood-sugar levels.
Richard Anderson, who led the study for the US Department of Agriculture, said that more research was needed into the effectiveness of cinnamon juice in preventing diabetes and heart disease.
- Cinnamon extract may reduce diabetes, heart disease risk - Aug 25, 2010
- Routine blood test may accurately identify pre-diabetics - Jan 07, 2011
- High blood sugar levels 'tied to coronary heart disease risk in nondiabetics?' - May 26, 2010
- Almonds 'could help prevent diabetes, heart disease' - Dec 30, 2010
- Asparagus, garlic could help keep obesity at bay - Aug 23, 2010
- Apple compound may help burn fat, reduce obesity - Jun 21, 2012
- Garlic oil 'may prevent heart disease in diabetics' - Sep 30, 2010
- Black rice is the new cancer-fighting superfood (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Glass of red wine can help regulate diabetes - Nov 22, 2010
- New finding paves way for easy, accurate test to detect pre-diabetes - Jul 09, 2010
- Artificial pancreas to eliminate daily insulin shots - Jun 26, 2011
- Bile pigment could stave off cancer, heart disease - Jun 26, 2012
- Take tea to avoid heart problems, diabetes - Feb 18, 2012
- Weight loss helps boost low testosterone levels - Jun 26, 2012
- Low-calorie diet can cure diabetes - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: anti oxidants, antioxidants, applied health sciences, blood sugar levels, daily mail, department of agriculture, diabetes and heart disease, disease diabetes, fairlawn ohio, health sciences researchers, heart disease, journal of the american college of nutrition, lowering blood sugar, lowering blood sugar levels, pancreas, pre diabetes, preventing diabetes, richard anderson, us department of agriculture, water solution