Doctors on strike after attack by patient’s relativesJune 10th, 2009 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 10 (IANS) Juniors doctors at a government-run hospital in this Andhra Pradesh capital struck work Wednesday to protest an attack on them by the relatives of a pregnant woman who died while being treated.
Demanding action against those involved in the attack, doctors at the Gandhi Hospital struck work and staged a protest in front of the hospital premises.
The services in one of the biggest hospitals in the state were affected by the strike.
The state government tried to defuse the situation by promising action against those found guilty.
Relatives of a pregnant woman, who died during treatment, ransacked the labour room and attacked the doctors. Though the doctors claimed the woman died because she was anaemic, her relatives alleged she died due to doctor’s negligence.
Ravi Kumar, one of the doctors who treated the woman, said her haemoglobin count was only five percent and she was also suffering from jaundice.
He said she was brought to Gandhi Hospital after two other major hospitals refused to admit her. “We admitted her only after explaining the case to her relatives,” Kumar said.
Meanwhile, state Health Minister D. Nagender appealed to the junior doctors to immediately resume work. He assured action against those involved in the attack.
The city was rocked by a strike by junior doctors at all government hospitals last year after relatives of deceased patients attacked them in two separate incidents.
The strike had forced the state government to promulgate an ordinance providing for strict action against those involved in attacks on doctors.
- Private doctors strike work in Tamil Nadu - Jan 05, 2012
- HIV woman refused admission, gives birth by roadside - May 31, 2010
- Pregnant women beaten, abused in Madhya Pradesh district - Feb 22, 2011
- Eight children die as junior doctors continue strike - May 08, 2011
- Bihar junior doctors on strike, legislator's guards held (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Rajasthan doctors' strike claims 55 lives - Dec 28, 2011
- Jodhpur pregnancy deaths: Toll rises to 16 - Mar 13, 2011
- 10 die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Maharashtra textile town in grip of jaundice - Jun 18, 2012
- Doctors' strike continues in Bihar - Feb 01, 2011
- Kerala government faces ire over 'murder' of Bihari youth - Aug 18, 2012
- More contaminated medicines found in Rajasthan hospital - Jul 22, 2011
- Eight die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals - Feb 11, 2012
- Hundreds of Bihar junior doctors strike work - Jan 31, 2011
- Tamil Nadu doctors strike work over killing of colleague - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, gandhi hospital, government hospitals, haemoglobin count, health minister, hospital premises, junior doctors, juniors, labour room, negligence, pregnant woman, relatives, state government, state health, strict action