Disgraced South Korean cloning researcher found guiltyOctober 26th, 2009 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Oct 26 (DPA) The South Korean scientist initially hailed as a cloning pioneer and national hero until an investigation found some faked research in cloning human embryonic stem cells was convicted Monday of embezzling research grants.
Hwang Woo Suk, 56, was found guilty by a Seoul court after a three-year trial, the national Yonhap News Agency reported.
The sentence was to be announced at a later hearing, but prosecutors were seeking four years in prison.
Hwang was the subject of a scandal over falsified data on 2004 and 2005 studies in which he not only claimed to have cloned human stem cells but also to have developed patient-specific stem cells.
His research gave rise to hopes for treatments for incurable diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
Instead, Hwang was expelled from Seoul National University, banned from conducting human cloning research and put on trial.
- Russian, South Korean scientists vow to revive mammoth - Mar 14, 2012
- Seoul National University Mishap - Oct 29, 2009
- London hospital to do Europe's first embryonic stem cell trial - Sep 24, 2011
- Paralysed patient becomes world's first to get stem cell therapy - Oct 12, 2010
- Scientist converts skin cells into brain cells - Jul 29, 2011
- Now, red blood cells made from IVF embryos - Aug 16, 2010
- Now, a dog that glows in the dark - Jul 30, 2011
- US court stops federal funding of embryonic stem cell study - Aug 24, 2010
- Embryo stem cell therapy brings hope to those with incurable diseases - Jun 10, 2012
- New technology simplifies embryonic stem cell culturing - Nov 15, 2010
- US greenlight to world's first stem cell treatment on humans - Aug 02, 2010
- Coming soon: Cloned hair follicles to cure baldness! - May 01, 2011
- Heart patient's own skin cells may soon repair damaged cardiac tissue - Mar 03, 2010
- Stem cell regulations shouldn't stifle research: Indian experts - Apr 21, 2011
- Breakthrough in stem cell culture, holds hope for cures - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: alzheimer, embryonic stem cells, human cloning research, human embryonic stem cells, hwang woo suk, incurable diseases, national hero, pioneer, prosecutors, research grants, researcher, scandal, scientist, seoul national university, south korean, yonhap news agency