Discovery to help balding men regrow hairJune 26th, 2012 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 26 (IANS) The discovery that hair follicles in balding people are trapped in a “sleeping” state will help scientists develop a new treatment to combat thinning hairs.
Trichologists now claim to have identified a way of waking the follicles up again to help restore a fuller head of hair to people who are going bald.
Bruno Bernard, head of hair biology at L’Oreal in Paris who carried out the research, has now announced that the company is developing a new treatment that can be applied to the scalp in a shampoo or cream to help encourage hair to grow again, the Telegraph reports.
He said: “Hair follicles exist in two stable states - either an active state or a dormant state. From time to time, they will jump from one state to another.”
“Some of the follicles are just resting in the dormant state and are waiting for the right signal to make new hair. They are in a latency period. If you can reduce this latency period, you will have more hair.”
“We have identified a compound and we are going to make a formulation of it that can be applied to the scalp to wake the follicle up from its sleeping state to the active state,” added Bernard.
Up to half of all men suffer from androgenic alopecia, the most common cause of hair loss and thinning in humans. It is estimated that around eight million women in the UK also suffer excessive hair loss to some degree.
- Hope for balding men - Mar 22, 2012
- Bringing your crowning glory back - the Sehwag, Kallis way! - May 11, 2011
- Having "dream hair" could lead to baldness - Mar 18, 2010
- Genetic discovery could lead to baldness cure - Jul 02, 2010
- The heat is on! Dos and don'ts for hair care - Jun 01, 2012
- Study: Stem cells provide clue to beating baldness - Jan 05, 2011
- Housewife works out recipe for regrowing hair - Jan 18, 2011
- Coming soon: Cloned hair follicles to cure baldness! - May 01, 2011
- Soon, 'magic lotion' to restore greying hair's black sheen - Jun 20, 2010
- Clean right, eat right for healthy hair this monsoon - Aug 08, 2012
- Hair extensions could leave you with bald spots - Jan 26, 2010
- Boffins identify genes contributing to skin disease that triggers hair loss - Jul 05, 2010
- Male pattern balding 'due to stem cell inactivation' - Jan 05, 2011
- Naomi Campbell Going Bald In Certain Portions Of Her Head - Jul 03, 2010
- Scientists identify new gene in hair loss - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: active state, androgenic alopecia, balding men, bruno bernard, discovery, dormant state, excessive hair loss, follicle, hair biology, hair follicles, hairs, head of hair, l oreal, latency period, new hair, paris, scientists, shampoo, stable states, telegraph reports