Diabetes increases risk of cancer, say expertsJune 17th, 2010 - 5:49 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, June 17 (IANS) People with diabetes may face an increased risk of cancer, a study has found.
“There’s a strong consensus that there is a link between diabetes and cancer, and there are some very plausible biological links,” said Edward Giovannucci, lead author of the study and professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.
The American Cancer Society and the American Diabetes Association released the report jointly Wednesday, Xinhua reported.
The study found that insulin, and insulin-like growth factors, can promote some cancers, and that many people with type two diabetes have high levels of circulating insulin, sometimes for years before they’re diagnosed with diabetes.
There is enough evidence to show an association between diabetes and an increased risk of liver, pancreas, endometrial, colon, rectal, breast and bladder cancer, according to the report.
Interestingly, however, the study found evidence that diabetes is associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
The panel found that the commonly used type two diabetes medication, metformin, might offer users some protection against cancer.
This may be because the drug reduces insulin resistance and lowers the need for additional insulin, or that metformin may act on cells in other direct or indirect ways, the report said.
Giovannucci said the most important message to take away from this research is the “profound effects that lifestyle changes can have on your risk of diabetes and your risk of cancer”.
He said it’s not always the most popular message, but to lower the risk of cancer, it’s important to reduce body weight, exercise, improve the diet and avoid smoking.
- Coffee may protect against cancer of the uterus - Nov 23, 2011
- Avoiding or controlling diabetes may cut cancer risk, mortality - Apr 04, 2011
- Diabetes drug may provide protection against endometrial cancer - Apr 06, 2011
- Experts review link between diabetes and cancer - Jun 17, 2010
- Obesity can cause cancer: Experts - Feb 14, 2011
- Diabetes drug reduces cancer risk - Nov 27, 2011
- Low testosterone raises risk of diabetes - May 04, 2012
- Diabetes 'raises cancer risk in women' - Jun 11, 2010
- Diabetes drug could help prevent lung cancer - Apr 20, 2010
- Cells coordinate to promote exercise - Sep 20, 2011
- Diabetes drug may elevate bladder cancer risk - Jul 04, 2012
- Statin use may cut risk of colorectal cancer - Oct 19, 2010
- Lynch syndrome's mutated genes raise risk of cancers - Feb 15, 2012
- Genetic variation that cuts bladder cancer risk identified - Apr 03, 2011
- Poor sleep aggravates young diabetics' condition - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: american cancer society, american diabetes association, bladder cancer, cancers, diabetes, diabetes medication, epidemiology, growth factors, harvard school of public health, insulin resistance, lifestyle changes, liver, metformin, pancreas, profound effects, prostate cancer, school of public health, type two diabetes, weight exercise, xinhua