Dharamsala holds AIDS awareness meetNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:45 am ICT by admin
“We felt there is a communication gap within the family and in the society. So, the youth of today are feeling lost. They feel they don’t have much of a role to play in this,” claimed Vijay Sharma, the general-manager of ‘FXB India Suraksha’, an NGO.
“Involving young students, adolescents and college students in this program, we would like to bring them into the mainstream in designing and implementing and delivering some of this program,” Sharma added.
Students too participated in the meet at which some volunteered to help, while others sought information.
“I am here to see how people are doing their work on AIDS. I would like to work with organisations like FXB and Yatra (voluntary groups), because I think that we should come forward for this AIDS awareness program,” said Tammana Khan, a student.
According to a government report, there are 1930 HIV cases in Himachal Pradesh.
India has the world’s third highest HIV caseload, after South Africa and Nigeria, with around 2.5 million people living with the virus — of whom around 70,000 are under 15 years old.
A survey conducted by the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3) of India, found a HIV prevalence rate of 0.28 percent for the age group of 15-49 years.
Prevalence is 60 percent higher among men than in women, at 0.36 percent and 0.22 percent respectively.
The NFHS-3 found HIV prevalence to be particularly high in Manipur (1.1 percent) and Andhra Pradesh (1 percent). (ANI)
- Number of AIDS cases fall in Himachal - Dec 01, 2010
- Running short, Himachal borrows condoms from Punjab - Jul 13, 2011
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- Lakhs counselled on AIDS, says Azad - Aug 25, 2010
- Don't neglect people with HIV, PM tells ministries - Jul 04, 2011
- Pakistan witnesses surge in AIDS - Jan 23, 2012
- 'Firms should create AIDS awareness among workers' - Jul 28, 2011
- 'Parent-to-child transmission of HIV high in India' - Nov 28, 2010
- Manipur hosts a cycle rally to spread HIV/AIDS awareness - Dec 01, 2009
- 56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000 - Aug 24, 2012
- Maternal, infant health index improves in India: Unicef - Sep 02, 2010
- Pakistan has nearly 100,000 HIV/AIDS patients - Dec 03, 2011
- Gonorrhea cure gets tough as bug grows drug resistant - Nov 08, 2011
- Madras HC orders removal of AIDS awareness posters - Aug 05, 2009
- Candlelight marches in Himachal to support Anna - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: aids awareness, awareness program, communication gap, dharamsala, family health survey, feeling lost, fxb, government report, hiv cases, hiv prevalence, India, national family health survey, nfhs, organisations, prevalence rate, vijay sharma, voluntary groups, volunteered, yatra, youth of today