Deshmukh critical, family forbids health bulletin (Lead)August 7th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 7 (IANS) The condition of union Science and Technology Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, admitted to the Global Hospital here, continues to be critical, an official said, adding his family members have declined permission to issue a medical bulletin about his status.
“Deshmukh’s condition continues to be critical. However we are not in a position to issue a medical bulletin as the union minister’s family refused permission for that.” the official told IANS, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Told that Deshmukh is not just an individual but also a union minister, the official said the hospital is helpless as the family has not given the nod.
Earlier a senior hospital official had told IANS that a statement about the health condition of Deshmukh would be issued in the afternoon.
With no such official communication forthcoming from the hospital and the family, speculation was rife about Deshmukh’s condition.
“He is alive. Many of the media reports are speculative in nature,” the official said.
Hospital officials refused to confirm or deny the reports that Deshmukh is on ventilator/life support systems.
Officials at Global Hospital said that Deshmukh is in the intensive care unit (ICU) for serious liver ailment.
“The ward is out of bounds except for doctors and para medical staff,” he said.
Queried about whether a liver transplant is being looked at, the official said: “As far as the information with me, the attending doctors are not planning any transplant for two days.”
He said the health parameters of Deshmukh has to be stabilised first before any transplant operation is considered.
Liver specialist Mohammed Rela is attending to the former Maharashtra chief minister.
Deshmukh, 67, was rushed to the hospital Monday evening from Mumbai’s Breach Candy hospital in an air ambulance.
“From the Chennai airport he was brought to our hospital in our ambulance,” the official said.
Deshmukh’s family members are with him.
Deshmukh, who had been complaining of abdominal pain for a while, had been taken to Breach Candy Hospital last week for what was described as “a routine check-up”.
For the last few months, Deshmukh has been taking light assignments to avoid strain on account of his health condition, a Congress official indicated.
- Deshmukh still critical - Aug 08, 2012
- Chennai doctors closely monitoring Deshmukh's condition - Aug 07, 2012
- Deshmukh remains critical (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Deshmukh died of cardiac failure: Doctor - Aug 14, 2012
- Tamil Nadu governor visits Deshmukh - Aug 09, 2012
- Two Sri Lankan families swap livers for transplant - Jun 07, 2011
- Vilasrao Deshmukh passes away (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Innovative liver surgery saves 2-year-old Omani girl - Jul 04, 2012
- Vilasrao Deshmukh rushed to Chennai hospital (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Vilasrao Deshmukh dies in Chennai hospital (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- PM condoles Deshmukh's death - Aug 14, 2012
- Deshmukh dies in Chennai, mourned by leaders, Bollywood (Roundup) - Aug 14, 2012
- Parliament adjourned after Deshmukh's death - Aug 14, 2012
- Chavan, ministers visit ailing Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2012
- Deshmukh dies in Chennai, mourned by leaders, Bollywood (Second Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: air ambulance, breach candy hospital, chennai airport, critical family, global hospital, health bulletin, health condition, hospital officials, intensive care unit, liver ailment, liver specialist, liver transplant, maharashtra chief minister, medical bulletin, medical staff, mohammed rela, technology minister, transplant operation, union minister, ventilator