Dermatitis linked to cancer riskJune 28th, 2010 - 9:13 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Jun 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Scientists are doing research all the time on cancer and their latest research has shown that people who have the skin disease - atopic dermatitis have a higher chance of getting cancer. It’s not known whether the drugs used by people with that medical condition are responsible for the increased risk.
Dr Alejandro Arana who works for a company Risk Management Resources, which is based in New Jersey, studied people who have dermatitis. His colleagues also examined the medical reports of about 4.5 million people in the UK, for about 7 years in their research to study the link between dermatitis and cancer risk.
They report was published in the British Journal of Dermatology and it revealed that about 1.5 percent of those studied had atopic dermatology and out of that, around 3 percent had been diagnosed with some kind of cancer during the study period. People without the skin condition were averagely 12 to 15 years older than those with the condition.
The investigators specifically looked at lymphoma, melanoma, and non-melanoma skin cancer and when they were examined through different age group wise also. The study found that atopic dermatitis sufferers were 1.5 times at higher risk of getting cancer, than those without the skin disease.
The investigators however emphasized that having atopic dermatitis, doesn’t prove that you would contract cancer.
- New Study Links Dermatitis To Cancer Risk - Jun 28, 2010
- Dermatitis Linked To Cancer Risk, Study Reveals - Jun 28, 2010
- Dermatitis and Cancer Risk Is Linked: Study - Jun 28, 2010
- Atopic dermatitis is a strong precursor to food allergies - Feb 06, 2011
- Widely used arthritis pill shows promise against skin cancer - Dec 03, 2010
- Celebrex shows potential in preventing some skin cancers - Dec 01, 2010
- Eye colour linked to severity of skin conditions - May 07, 2012
- Cancer research finds two genetic variants - Oct 10, 2011
- Miracle weed emerges as skin cancer cure - Jan 26, 2011
- Mums' exposure to farm animals during pregnancy cuts atopic dermatitis risk in kids - Dec 03, 2010
- Rich, young women 'more prone to melanoma' - Mar 22, 2011
- Women on nightshift may escape skin cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- Biomarker-based blood test can predict metastasis risk in melanoma - Apr 16, 2011
- Sun-triggered protein 'makes skin cancer worse' - Feb 04, 2011
- Itching, like yawning, can be contagious - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,