Demystifying the diet jungle (To go with: Fall in love with food, says nutritionist-author)June 27th, 2012 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
* Camel Diet: High on liquids, this diet, which uses water to kill hunger, can cause malnutrition
* Monkey diet: This jumps from fad to fad - from grapefruit diet, apple cider vinegar diet and the acai berry diet. Around since 1930s, it stresses on the benefit of one food and is often inadequate.
* Cow Diet: This is a monotonous diet of the same set of foods without variety. The cabbage soup diet is an example - the cabbage and the soup does not change. Such diets are restrictive, poor in nutrients and emotionally stressful.
* Ostrich Diet: This targets fats but doesn’t target overall health. The Atkins’ Diet is an example. This no-carbohydrate diet allows one to eat ice-cream, cheese and red meat. It is associated with long-term disorders.
* Cheetah Diet: This promises magical time-frames. It could mean regular purging or vomiting food and over-exercise. They go nowhere - just as someone who tries to get into shape with electrical muscle stimulation or a vibrating machine.
Pooja Makhija in “Eat. Delete: How To Get Off the Weight Loss Cycle For Good (Harper-Collins India)”.
- Fall in love with food, says nutritionist-author - Jun 27, 2012
- Expert claims modern 'superdiets' just based on myths - Nov 23, 2009
- Eating foods rich in vitamin E 'lowers dementia risk' - Jul 13, 2010
- No fad diets for Sofia Vergara - Dec 28, 2011
- Vinegar can boost your good cholesterol levels - Nov 23, 2010
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Dieting tempts you into eating junk food - Dec 01, 2010
- 'Young women place looks above health' - Aug 14, 2012
- Fruit fly's response to starvation could help regulate human appetite - Apr 01, 2011
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Atkins diet gets healthier, more effective makeover - Mar 23, 2010
- 3.23 p.m. - the time when dieting fails - Mar 22, 2011
- The "smelling diets" that can help you to fight flab - Aug 13, 2009
- Dukan Diet used by Kate Middleton could be dangerous - Mar 19, 2011
- Delhi samples exotic flavours of Ecuador (With Image) - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: acai berry, apple cider vinegar, apple cider vinegar diet, atkins diet, cabbage soup diet, carbohydrate diet, cheetah, cider vinegar diet, cream cheese, electrical muscle stimulation, grapefruit diet, harper collins, magical time, makhija, malnutrition, monkey diet, monotonous diet, red meat, target, time frames