Delhi surgeons to separate conjoined twins from BiharMarch 31st, 2010 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) A team of doctors from Delhi will soon operate upon year-and-half-old conjoined twins from Bihar.
Doctors at Batra Hospital in the capital are examining the twins - Sita and Gita - before taking up the task of separating them.
“They have separate heads, hands and legs but are joined at the waist having one faecal and urinary tract. It is a challenging and risky task but we are hopeful to separate the babies,” said Dr Sanjeev Bagai, senior consultant pediatrician and Nephrologist, Batra Hospital.
According to doctors, conjoined twins are rare, occurring in about one in every 200,000 births. The overall survival rate of conjoined twins is somewhere between 5 to 25 percent. Historical records over the past 500 years detail about 600 surviving sets of conjoined twins.
The hospital’s intervention was no less than a miracle for the twins’ parents who had lost all hopes of their daughters leading a normal life.
“It was a godly intervention when Dr. Ajay Kumar of Patna promised us all possible help, including monetary, for the surgery and got us here. I am hopeful that my daughters will be separated soon,” said Subhash Mukhia, father of the girls, who works as a labourer in Bhawanipur village in West Champaran district of Bihar.
- Conjoined twins in Bihar set to be separated - Mar 27, 2010
- Conjoined twins ready to go home after surgery - May 12, 2010
- Separated a month ago, Siamese twins go home Saturday - May 28, 2010
- Separated Siamese twins draw crowds in their village - May 31, 2010
- Separated Siamese twins to be discharged by Saturday - May 27, 2010
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged in two weeks - May 04, 2010
- Separated conjoined twins recuperating in Delhi - Apr 07, 2010
- Separated conjoined twins to be discharged next week - May 12, 2010
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
- Separated Siamese twins doing well, to go home next week - May 21, 2010
- Conjoined twins from Bihar separated after marathon surgery (Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Marathon surgery to separate conjoined twins begins - Apr 05, 2010
- Conjoined twins' family undecided on surgery - Jul 31, 2012
- SC pushes for medical separation of conjoined sisters - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: ajay kumar, babies, batra hospital, births, champaran, consultant pediatrician, doctors, girls, gita, labourer, legs, miracle, New Delhi, parents, patna, sanjeev, senior consultant, sita, survival rate, twins