Delhi reports year’s first dengue caseMarch 21st, 2011 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 21 (IANS) The national capital’s first case of dengue of the year has been reported from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), and the country’s premier medical institute has been blamed by the civic corporation for failing to keep a mosquito-free campus.
According to a civic official Monday, a doctor at the institute has tested positive for dengue, becoming the first case of the vector-borne disease in Delhi this year.
Anoop Singh, a post-graduate student of the AIIMS, tested positive for dengue after he was admitted in the hospital March 3 when he complained of fever along with headache and pain.
“The student contracted the disease during his stay in the doctors’ hostel in the AIIMS. It is surprising that mostly the first and the last dengue cases of the city are reported from AIIMS,” chairman of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi’s (MCD) public health committee V.K. Monga Monday told IANS.
“MCD’s public health committee had continuously asked the AIIMS authorities to prevent the disease by keeping their surroundings free from mosquitoes, but in vain,” he added.
“It is unusual that the first case of dengue is being reported with the early onset of summer. Last year, the first dengue case was reported in June, and cases continued till mid-December,” he said.
Monga also asked the public to ensure that places like water coolers and tanks did not have stagnant water - the breeding ground of mosquitoes.
He added that the MCD was conducting anti-dengue workshops in schools and hospitals in the city.
In 2010, a total of 6,229 dengue cases were reported in Delhi, and the disease claimed eight lives.
- Dengue cases cross 500 mark in Delhi - Oct 20, 2011
- Prepared for monsoon: Delhi civic agency - Jun 02, 2011
- First dengue death of 2011 reported in Delhi - Jul 23, 2011
- Civic body imparts dengue lessons to schools - Jun 24, 2011
- 1,500 dengue mosquito breeding checkers go on strike in Delhi - Sep 06, 2010
- Civic agency ropes in schools for anti-dengue drive - Jul 30, 2011
- MCD to launch anti-dengue drive - Jul 25, 2011
- Mosquitoes breeding at 7 CWG sites, notices issued - Aug 10, 2010
- 29 new dengue cases in Delhi, total 6,035 - Nov 18, 2010
- MCD appeals to Delhiites to help prevent dengue outbreak - Sep 08, 2010
- 75 dengue cases in Delhi Monday, total 1,370 - Sep 06, 2010
- MCD briefs councillors on dengue, malaria - Aug 08, 2011
- One more dengue case reported in Delhi - May 04, 2011
- Though rising, fewer dengue cases in Delhi than last year - Oct 21, 2009
- Dengue cases climb up to 1,652 in Delhi - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, breeding ground, civic official, dengue cases, graduate student, india institute, march 21, mcd, medical institute, monga, mosquito, mosquitoes, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, post graduate, public health committee, stagnant water, vector borne disease, water coolers