Delay in checking dengue in Bengal, says governorSeptember 11th, 2012 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 11 (IANS) With five people dead and more than 1,200 people affected with dengue, West Bengal Governor M.K. Narayanan Tuesday blamed initial delays on the part of the state administration for the spurt in such cases.
“I had a discussion with the state health secretary; he briefed me on the steps that have been taken to control the situation. I suppose there was some delay, but the situation is now under control, hopefully it is under control,” Narayanan said on the sidelines of a programme.
According to state health department data released Monday, the dengue outbreak in West Bengal has affected over 1,200 people. Endemic dengue has already claimed five lives, including two children.
The total number of people afflicted with the mosquito-borne disease has mounted to 1,224, of whom 766 are from the worst-hit Kolkata. All the five deaths have been reported from the metropolis.
The neighbouring North 24 Parganas district has recorded 188 dengue cases.
Seventeen of the state’s 19 districts have been hit by the virus that is carried into the human body by the Aedes aegypti mosquito.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has been advising people about the do’s and don’ts of the disease, including which medicines to take and what to avoid if they exhibit dengue-like symptoms.
However, both the alliance partner Congress and opposition Left Front have accused the state government of suppressing the real figures of people infected by the dreaded disease.
- Over 1,200 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 10, 2012
- Over 1,000 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 08, 2012
- 'Travel, urbanisation have led to 50-fold rise in dengue cases' - Sep 17, 2012
- "Mamatadidi MBBS" tackles dengue (West Bengal newsletter) - Sep 08, 2012
- Lahore dengue toll reaches 110 - Oct 01, 2011
- Can GM mosquitoes wipe out dengue? - Oct 24, 2010
- Bengal rights panel seeks report on dengue from government - Sep 18, 2012
- Chemistry of mosquito sex could be key to controlling dengue fever - Mar 20, 2011
- Radio Pakistan to spread awareness about dengue - Sep 11, 2011
- Cuba develops mathematical models to fight dengue - Mar 24, 2012
- Lahore dengue toll rises to 127 - Oct 02, 2011
- 69 new dengue cases in Delhi, total 434 - Aug 23, 2010
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- Mosquitoes home in on human body odour - Oct 02, 2011
- 10 dead, over 2,000 hit by dengue in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: aedes aegypti, alliance partner, chief minister, dengue cases, dengue outbreak, health secretary, human body, initial delays, kolkata, mamata banerjee, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, narayanan, neighbouring, sep 11, sidelines, spurt, state administration, state health department, west bengal