DDA asked to allot land for pig slaughter houseAugust 4th, 2012 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) The Delhi government Friday urged the Delhi Development Authority (DDA)to allot 10-12 acres land for a slaughter house for pigs to stop the animal’s indiscriminate slaughter which can spread the Japanese encephalitis disease.
Delhi Health Minister A.K. Walia urged that capital’s land-owning agency make necessary amendments in Master Plan 2021 to set up such a slaughter house. DDA officers however said that there is no such provision for such amendments.
Walia, in a statement, said: “The pork sellers have been illegally slaughtering the pigs in their own private premises which carry immense possibilities for the spread of Japanese encephalitis.”
He stressed that there were nine incidents of the disease in Delhi in 2011.
“The local bodies have no land of their own required for construction of a slaughter house and have been depending upon DDA for allotment of a suitable piece of land at an appropriate location in Delhi,” the statement said.
- 'Pigs from outside Delhi carriers of Japanese Encephalitis' - Dec 22, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis cases reported in Delhi - Sep 27, 2011
- Japanese Encephalitis claims 3 in Assam - Jun 28, 2012
- China wages war against adulterated food, fake drugs - Mar 16, 2012
- Japanese encephalitis kills 68 kids in Gaya - Oct 17, 2011
- Ready to assist encephalitis-hit Bihar: WHO - Jun 29, 2012
- Court tells DDA to allot house plots in Rohini - Mar 14, 2012
- Strategy needed to tackle zoonotic diseases, say experts - Jul 31, 2012
- Pigs terrorising people in Africa's Kalahari desert - Jan 25, 2011
- Delhi Police urged to act against land mafia - Jul 13, 2012
- In encephalitis-hit Bihar, parents pray to god to save their kids - Jun 29, 2012
- Japanese Encephalitis claims 89 lives in Assam - Aug 23, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis outbreak hits Manipur - Jul 16, 2010
- Cold wave in Bihar ends encephalitis epidemic - Dec 27, 2011
- South Asia: Hot spot for cross-border diseases - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: allotment, delhi development authority, delhi government, health minister, immense possibilities, indiscriminate slaughter, japanese encephalitis, necessary amendments, New Delhi, pig slaughter, pigs, private premises, provision, slaughter house, suitable piece, walia