Dancer’s leg amputated because of doctors’ delayMay 16th, 2012 - 5:05 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A 25-year-old Russian break-dance champion had to have one of his legs amputated and almost lost the other after doctors delayed treating him for a week after a road accident.
Yevgeny Smirnov, holder of 30 break-dancing trophies, was seriously injured when a car cut in in front of his scooter in the Black Sea resort of Lazarevskoye May 1. Smirnov spun off the highway and fainted after the collision, Life News reported.
The car driver fled the scene but was later found by Smirnov’s friends and police, the dancer’s friend Anna Kharlamova said. A criminal investigation has been opened into the accident.
An ambulance took him to a hospital in Lazarevskoye where doctors diagnosed a double open shin-bone fracture.
His friends insisted he be transferred to the regional centre of Krasnodar, which has a bigger hospital than the one he was first taken to. Local doctors kept turning them down until Sochi mayor Anatoly Pakhomov stepped in.
The delay in treatment resulted in gangrene infection and his leg had to be amputated.
The gangrene then began spreading to his second leg, but doctors in Krasnodar carried out surgery in a bid to stop the infection spreading and stitched the second leg Monday night, Kharlamova said.
Meanwhile, Smirnov’s friends are raising money for the break dance champion, whose parents are dead.
“In the next two-three years, he will need money to provide for himself until he recovers his athletic shape and returns to coaching younger sportsmen,” Kharlamova said.
His friends have also organized a fund-raising concert to be held in Sochi May 19 in support of the dancer. Fifteen dance groups, singers, entertainers and rappers will perform at the event.
- Gabor's husband allows leg amputation - Jan 09, 2011
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- Drunk Russian killed for attacking cops with axe - Jun 27, 2012
- Russia blames Georgia for swine flu - Apr 09, 2012
- Russian teenager chokes to death in sunflower seeds - Jun 30, 2012
- Week after leg crushed by bus, girl dies - Jul 24, 2012
- Gabor undergoes leg amputation surgery - Jan 15, 2011
- FIFA World Cup delegates visit Samara - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor does not know her leg has been amputated - Jan 17, 2011
- Russia launches hotline to fight drug promotion - Jun 01, 2011
- Russians learn English for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 18, 2012
- Zsa Zsa Gabor back home after amputation - Jan 23, 2011
- Over 140 dead in Russian floods (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: anatoly, black sea, bone fracture, break dance, break dancing, car driver, criminal investigation, dance champion, dance groups, krasnodar, life news, local doctors, raising money, regional centre, ria novosti, road accident, sea resort, shin bone, sochi, sportsmen