Dallas declares emergency over west Nile virusAugust 17th, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Dallas, Aug 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Dallas County has declared a state of emergency after suffering 10 deaths from the west Nile virus. The announcement has set the stage for the stage for the aerial anti-mosquito spraying within the county.
The state has seen at least 381 cases of the virus this year alone as compared to a paltry 27 last year. 95% of all the tested Houston mosquitoes were found to be carrying the virus and therefore the need to carry out the spraying exercise.
The effects of the west Nile virus Is devastating as the death toll in the state is now standing at 16. Officials in the county point a finger to the wet spring and warm winter which has provided a fertile breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Apart from Texas, there are other states which have also suffered the wrath of the virus. These are: Louisiana which has experienced 39 cases, Mississippi which has experienced 39 cases and one death, and Oklahoma experienced 22 cases. The situation in Texas is the worst in the nation and this is exactly the reason why a state of emergency has been declared.
The virus is said to turn into a west Nile fever or into a range of other threatening diseases. The increasing cause of death through the virus is informed by the fact that people do not wear protective masks. One expert who has examined the victims pointed out that 90% of the victims did not take precautions with wearing a bug spray.
- West Nile virus kills 46 in US' Texas state - Sep 08, 2012
- US hit by worst outbreak of deadly West Nile virus - Aug 23, 2012
- West Nile virus kills four in US - Aug 02, 2012
- West Nile virus hits US, four dead - Aug 04, 2012
- Scientists decode West Nile mosquito's DNA - Oct 01, 2010
- Mosquitoes sniff out victims for blood - Jul 03, 2012
- Three die of deadly West Nile virus in Serbia - Sep 08, 2012
- Incurable mosquito virus hits Australia - May 18, 2011
- Four dead, 2,000 affected by dengue in Pakistan - Oct 23, 2010
- South Asia: Hot spot for cross-border diseases - Aug 14, 2012
- Over 1,200 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 10, 2012
- Dengue toll rises to 19 in Orissa - Aug 20, 2011
- Over 1,000 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 08, 2012
- Viral fever grips Gurgaon - Sep 09, 2012
- Chemistry of mosquito sex could be key to controlling dengue fever - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: breeding ground, bug spray, cause of death, dallas county, death toll, deaths, diseases, fact that people, louisiana, mississippi, mosquito, mosquito spraying, mosquitoes, protective masks, state of emergency, warm winter, west nile fever, west nile virus, wet spring, wrath