Cuba keeps an eye on Swine fluApril 29th, 2009 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, April 29 (IANS) Cuba is closely monitoring the outbreak of swine flu that has caused over 100 deaths in Mexico and spread to the US and several European countries, Cuban Health Minister Luis Estruch has said.
Health officials in Cuba were monitoring the situation and planning actions to face any such emergency, Estruch said, stressing that there has not been a single case reported so far in the Caribbean island, Cuban news agency Prensa Latina reported Wednesday.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the H1N1 strain of the virus has been found for the first time ever both in animals and humans so it is hard to forecast the disease’s reach.
But, Estruch, a specialist in Epidemiology, said his country’s health system has the potential to diagnose and treat the disease.
“There is qualified staff to assist and monitor patients and meet the people’s needs round the clock in case of an emergency,” he said.
In line with the international situation, Estruch called for adopting strict personal and collective hygiene measures at schools, services and other public places.
Cuba is implementing control measures in ports and airports and on planes, ships and in-coming travellers to prevent entrance of the virus, the minister stated.
- Cuba reports first swine flu deaths - Oct 11, 2009
- Cholera outbreak in Cuba after 130 years - Jul 15, 2012
- Cuba seeks help to buy swine flu vaccine - Oct 06, 2009
- Vietnam testing avian flu vaccine - Feb 21, 2012
- Cuba achieves single shot vaccine for five diseases - Jul 20, 2010
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuba confirms first swine flu case - May 13, 2009
- Cuban medicine for diabetic ulcers gains popularity - Mar 01, 2011
- Virus may infect America, warns health group - Mar 04, 2012
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- India, Cuba to cooperate on natural medicine usage - Feb 18, 2011
- Cuban publishes book on history of ballet - Feb 22, 2012
- Japanese experts help Cuba to develop aqua-farms - Sep 13, 2011
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: airports, april 29, caribbean island, control measures, european countries, flu, havana, health minister, health officials, hygiene, international situation, news agency, outbreak, planes, ports, prensa latina, s health system, swine flu, travellers, world health organisation