Cuba confirms first swine flu caseMay 13th, 2009 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
Havana, May 12 (EFE) A Mexican student in Cuba has tested positive for the H1N1 flu virus, making him the first person confirmed to have swine flu on the Caribbean island, the health ministry said.
“As of now, there is one confirmed case of the A(H1N1) influenza virus, (according to) the diagnosis made by the Institute of Tropical Medicine,” Cuban television reported, citing a health ministry communique.
Mexican students began arriving in Cuba April 25 and their condition has been “monitored strictly”, health officials said.
The monitoring system “allowed the detection of 14 Mexican students with cold symptoms that were considered minor and the majority of whom have been released from clinics and are under epidemiological and laboratory observation,” the ministry said.
“All the students have been investigated” and only one flu case has been confirmed, it said.
Since April 27, 84 people from eight countries have been examined on “clinical-epidemiological” grounds, as well as 511 others who had contact with them, but all of them tested negative for the flu virus, according to the ministry.
“All necessary measures continue to be taken and the resources, capabilities and trained personnel are available to deal with the international situation and its evolution,” it added.
The Cuban government decided April 29 to suspend all direct flights to and from Mexico after declaring a health alert at the national, provincial and municipal levels.
- Fidel Castro accuses Mexico of hiding flu outbreak - May 13, 2009
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Mexico denies hiding information on flu - May 13, 2009
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- Cuba to give flu shots to over 600,000 people - Nov 20, 2011
- 'No mutation of swine flu virus' - Apr 11, 2012
- 41 infected with bird flu in Thailand - Jun 20, 2012
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- 100 mn Chinese vaccinated for swine flu - May 14, 2010
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- 12 mn Brazilians vaccinated for flu - May 09, 2011
- Fourth swine flu case reported in Cuba - May 21, 2009
- First swine flu death in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Cuba keeps an eye on Swine flu - Apr 29, 2009
Tags: caribbean island, cold symptoms, cuban government, cuban television, direct flights, epidemiological, flu virus, havana, health alert, health ministry, health officials, influenza, influenza virus, international situation, laboratory observation, mexican students, monitoring system, necessary measures, swine flu, tropical medicine