Cranberry sauce may protect against host of human illnessesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Nov 14 (ANI): A new study has found that cranberry sauce might help in fighting E. coli bacteria, which are responsible for a host of human illnesses.
The study, conducted by Terri Camesano, associate professor of chemical engineering at WPI, and team that includes graduate students Yatao Liu and Paola Pinzon-Arango, found that compounds in cranberries were responsible for making cranberry sauce a possible antibacterial agent.
In the study, the team used atomic force microscope and other sophisticated tools to examine how a group of tannins, called proanthocyanidins or PACs found primarily in cranberries, interacted with bacteria at the molecular level.
The analysis found that the compounds prevented E. coli from adhering to cells in the body, which is a necessary first step in infections, in several ways, which includes- the chemical changes caused by cranberry juice creates an energy barrier that keeps the bacteria from getting close to the urinary tract lining.
The direct measurements showed that the adhesive forces between E. coli and cells of the urinary tract were greatly reduced when at least a 5 percent solution of cranberry juice cocktail is present.
Also the study found that E. coli grown in cranberry juice or the isolated PACs were unable to form biofilms, which are clusters containing high concentrations of bacteria required for infections to develop.
Camesano said that the finding indicated that the benefits of cranberry juice would increase its consumption, which is good.
The study is issued in FAV Health 2007 and in AgroFOOD industry hi-tech. (ANI)
- Cranberry juice better at fighting bugs - Oct 30, 2011
- Cranberry can help prevent urinary tract infections - Mar 10, 2009
- Cranberry juice can block Staph infections - Sep 02, 2010
- Cranberry juice fights urinary infection - Sep 16, 2010
- How cranberry juice battles urinary tract infections - Jul 16, 2010
- Bugs filch copper to spread urinary infections - Jul 09, 2012
- New testing method for cranberry products to know UTI treatments' efficacy - Apr 22, 2010
- Cranberry Juice may help in kids' bladder infections - Sep 10, 2012
- How E. coli triggers urinary infections - Jan 19, 2012
- Cranberry juice can prevent urinary tract infections - Jul 26, 2008
- Cranberry juice can fend off urinary tract infections - Jul 22, 2008
- Cranberry juice not effective against urinary tract infections: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- New strain of killer E. coli decoded - Jul 27, 2012
- Scientists move one step closer to vaccine for urinary tract infections - Nov 13, 2010
- Shrimp shell nanoparticle combats microbes, heals wounds - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: adhesive forces, antibacterial agent, atomic force microscope, benefits of cranberry juice, cells, compounds, cranberries, cranberry juice cocktail, cranberry sauce, e coli bacteria, energy barrier, human illnesses, industry hi, pacs, tannins, wpi