Costa Rica confirms first swine flu death

May 10th, 2009 - 6:15 am ICT by IANS  

San Jose, May 10 (EFE) Costa Rica has confirmed its first death from the influenza A(H1N1) virus, also called swine flu.
The 53-year-old man died early Saturday after contracting the virus.

The patient had received proper medical attention, but several of his organs failed and the blood pressure dropped, Health Minister Maria Luisa Avila told Radio Columbia.

The minister said about 50 people who were in contact with the patient have undergone medical tests and found to be healthy.

So far, nine cases of swine flu infections have been reported in Costa Rica.

Samples of 81 suspected cases of swine flu infections are currently under study at laboratories, he added.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said Saturday the number of swine flu infections has risen to 3,440 worldwide, including 45 deaths in Mexico, two in the US and one in Canada.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Health |