Common medical entrance test from next year: MCIAugust 17th, 2010 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) A common entrance test for students aspiring to study medicine is likely to be introduced from the next year, the Medical Council of India (MCI) said Tuesday.
“The common entrance test for undergraduate and postgraduate students will soon be a reality. The health minister has approved (it). We are awaiting the notification to be issued. Once the notification is issued it should be implemented for 2010-2011,” MCI’s Board of Governors’ chief S.K. Sarin said.
The MCI has proposed a common entrance test (CET) for all medical colleges in the country. According to Sarin, it will cover the private as well as government medical colleges across the country.
“It will be convenient for the students who presently have to take 10 to 15 different entrance tests,” he aid.
Ranks will be given to students on the basis of this test which will be used for admission in colleges all across the country. The move is also being seen as an attempt to bring an end to the management quota seats and other unfair means practiced in giving admission in private medical colleges.
“This test will ensure transparency, every college will have to take the students on the basis of the ranks,” he said.
However, the inclusion of All India Institute of Medical Sciences and other central medical colleges is not clear yet.
“These institutes are not under MCI. We have proposed their inclusion,” Sarin added.
The health ministry proposal comes as the human resource development ministry has proposed a common entrance test for medical as well as engineering.
Sarin, however, said that the modalities of the CET is yet to be finalised and the council is in dialogue with Central Board of Secondary Education and HRD ministry as well.
Reducing the burden on students is the main concern and it can be done in coordination with the HRD ministry, he said.
“They can have common test for physics and chemistry. The modalities are yet to be finalised,” he said.
- Syllabus for common medical entrance test released - Nov 04, 2011
- Medical Council ponders common entrance exam for medical courses - Jun 29, 2010
- States' views sought on common medical entrance test (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Medical Council ponders common entrance exam for budding doctors (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Rules for common test to medical courses finalised - Sep 17, 2010
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- Apex court clears way for common medical entrance test - Dec 13, 2010
- Kashmir trashes MCI notification for medical courses - Jan 11, 2011
- Why opposed to common entrance test: Supreme Court to health ministry - Oct 29, 2010
- Supreme Court gives nod to single common test for medical courses - Mar 07, 2011
- MCI moots reforms in medical courses, exams - Mar 30, 2011
- States issued notice on common medical entrance tests - Oct 22, 2010
- Court refuses to relax MBBS eligibility for northeast tribals - Aug 10, 2011
- Court questions Delhi University on medical admissions - Jul 03, 2011
- Zero in exam? In Andhra, you can still get admission - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, board of governors, board of secondary education, central board of secondary education, common entrance test, development ministry, entrance tests, health minister, health ministry, human resource development, india institute, management quota, medical colleges, medical council of india, medical council of india mci, medical entrance, physics and chemistry, postgraduate students, s board, sarin