Cold caps help cancer patients keep their hairDecember 21st, 2010 - 8:47 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Dec 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Doctors in the United States have found an ingenuous way to help keep the hair of cancer patients.
Though the experiment has been carried on only four patients, the procedure has been found to be successful in keeping the hair of patients, who are undergoing cancer treatments.
This is how the doctors do it. During treatment for cancer, most patients lose their hair due to the strong nature of the drugs. The doctors use a cold cap to prevent hair loss in patients taking those kinds of drugs.
The cold cap has a circulating gel that has been cooled extremely. The gel then freezes the hair follicles and thereby prevents most of them from being destroyed.
However before the Food and Drugs Administration will allow the device to be sold and used commercially, there must be more tests. The device will have to be tried on at least 100 people with the results well documented to the FDA.
The machine was invented by Swedish scientists and it promises to increase the number of people that will opt for the chemotherapy. It is the first of its kind in the medical field.
- Scalp cooling cap may help patients undergoing chemotherapy keep hair - Feb 25, 2011
- DigniCap may help cancer patients undergoing chemo keep hair - Dec 22, 2010
- New invention could improve cancer drug delivery - Dec 24, 2010
- Electric shocks soften up cancer cells for treatment - Dec 07, 2010
- British 'smart bomb' to target cancer - Jun 30, 2012
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Gene test may bring safe chemotherapy - Mar 23, 2012
- New procedure busts deadly brain tumour cells - Feb 06, 2012
- Cuba launches world's first lung cancer retardant - Sep 07, 2011
- New study paves way for better cancer treatment - Feb 05, 2011
- FDA Authorizes A New Prostate Cancer Drug - Jun 18, 2010
- FDA approves prostate cancer drug Jevtana - Jun 18, 2010
- First ever pill to beat HIV under FDA consideration - May 10, 2012
- FDA explores link between breast implants & cancer - Jan 27, 2011
- Scientists offer 'baby hope' for women on toxic cancer drugs - Sep 28, 2009
Tags: cancer patients, cancer treatments, caps, chemotherapy, cold cap, doctors, drugs administration, fda, hair follicles, hair loss, kinds of drugs, medical field, new york dec, strong nature, swedish scientists, united states