Cocktail of cheap drugs can prevent Alzheimer’s?November 23rd, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 23 (IANS) A low-cost diabetes drug taken with a red wine ‘miracle pill’ could prevent millions from suffering the agony of Alzheimer’s, suggests new research.
The two-in-one cocktail could keep the brain healthy into old age, stopping dementia in some cases and halting it in others.
With the pills already credited with a host of health-boosting qualities, including potentially extending life, the Dundee University breakthrough brings hope of a brighter future for millions, reports the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
The latest breakthrough centres on drugs called metformin and resveratrol, according to the Daily Mail.
Metformin has been safely used for more than 50 years to control blood sugar levels in age and obesity-related diabetes. Recent research suggests it has other benefits, including the ability to extend life.
Resveratrol, the ‘miracle ingredient’ behind many of red wine’s health-boosting qualities, has also been hailed as an elixir of life, with experiments crediting it with warding off a host of ills, from old age to cancer.
Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia affect more than 800,000 Britons alone, with the number expected to double in a generation as the population ages.
The Dundee researchers showed that metformin interferes with the formation of toxic ‘tangles’ of a protein called tau that clog the brain in Alzheimer’s, leading to the destruction of memory cells.
Resveratrol has a similar protective effect and taken together, the two could have the power to hold Alzheimer’s at bay, researchers believe.
- Cocktail of cheap drugs 'could prevent Alzheimer's disease' - Nov 23, 2010
- Red wine, chocolate sharpen your mind - May 08, 2011
- Resveratrol acts as natural exercise booster - Jun 20, 2012
- 'Drinking red wine can help people live longer' - Aug 01, 2010
- Junk food could also damage brain, says study - Aug 30, 2012
- Natural compound prevents diabetes - Sep 04, 2011
- Diabetes drug spurs growth of brain cells - Jul 06, 2012
- Dementia linked to midlife weight crisis - May 03, 2011
- Simple lifestyle changes can prevent Alzheimer's - Jul 19, 2011
- Green tea 'fights dementia and cancer' - Jan 06, 2011
- Pill To Help Human Live Past 100 Due Out in 2012 - May 13, 2010
- Side effects that are actually beneficial for you - Dec 15, 2010
- Smoking Doubles Risk Of Alzheimer's Disease, Study Reveals - Oct 26, 2010
- Scientists isolate gene that protects against Alzheimer's - Jul 13, 2012
- Clogged arteries can also cause clouded thinking - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: blood sugar levels, brighter future, britons, cheap drugs, daily mail, dementia, diabetes drug, dundee university, elixir of life, ills, journal proceedings, memory cells, metformin, miracle pill, national academy of sciences, population ages, proceedings of the national academy, proceedings of the national academy of sciences, red wine, tangles