Cigarette smoking increases erectile dysfunction risk in healthy menNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:58 am ICT by admin
The study led by Jiang He, professor and chair of epidemiology at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, examined the association between cigarette smoking and erectile dysfunction in a 2000-2001 study, which involved 7,684 men.
In the study, the participants were in the age group of 35-74 years who did not have vascular disease.
The men were used to assess the status of cigarette smoking and erectile dysfunction.
“The association between cigarette smoking and ED was found in earlier studies,” He said.
“However, most of those studies were conducted in patients with hypertension, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. What distinguishes this study is that it is the first to find this association among healthy men,” he added.
The analysis of the study found that there was a significant statistical link between the number of cigarettes that the men smoked and the likelihood they would experience erectile dysfunction.
According to the study, approximately 22.7 percent of erectile dysfunction cases among the men might be attributed to cigarette smoking.
Professor He said that the finding has a strong message for young men.
“This study really has a strong message for young men. It may get their attention if they know that smoking is associated with ED even in the healthy population. So the message is: Don’t start,” he said.
The study is published in the American Journal of Epidemiology. (ANI)
- NSAID use linked to increased risk of erectile dysfunction - Mar 03, 2011
- Link between erectile dysfunction and heart disease - Jun 02, 2010
- The secret to longer-lasting sex lies in your arteries - Dec 01, 2010
- Giving up smoking gives sex lives a lift, study finds - Aug 23, 2010
- 'Mediterranean diet' can help one live longer - Aug 03, 2011
- Beware! Impotence could wreck your heart - May 20, 2010
- Therapy boosts sexual function in sleep disorder patients - Jun 25, 2012
- Cigarette smoking may increase risk of muscle-wasting disease - Feb 15, 2011
- Depressed men with erectile dysfunction face cardio problems - Jul 13, 2010
- Staggering 26 pct of Chinese men suffer from erectile dysfunction - Jul 12, 2010
- Depressed men with erectile dysfunction face cardio problems - Jul 14, 2010
- Study links impotence to heart risk - May 20, 2010
- Diabetic women less likely to be sexually satisfied - Jul 26, 2012
- Viagra users more likely to have STDs - Jul 06, 2010
- Popping too many pills ruins bedroom performance - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: age group, american journal of epidemiology, cigarette smoking, cigarettes, diabetes and cardiovascular disease, hypertension, journal of epidemiology, likelihood, professor, risk, school of public health, studies were conducted, tropical medicine, tulane university school, vascular disease, young men